PCB or hardwire? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2012, 04:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PCB or hardwire?

Hi guys,

Do you have any experience to share about the pros and cons of PCB vs hard wire. For my previous projects ( mainly head phone amps with valves ) is used
Tag boards only. Now I have a hybrid head phone amp in mind ( as on the Headwize site ) which really asks for a PCB. But tube bases on PCBs? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th July 2012, 04:36 PM   #2
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

You can get tube sockets for PCB mounting. I buy the ceramic ones on eBay.

For prototypes, I generally build point-to-point but my circuits usually end up being fairly complex so I've taken to label the prototypes DeathTraps. I much prefer a PCB layout. It makes it easy to build two identical channels or two identical amps. It also keeps the parasitics under control.

~Tom
Old 19th July 2012, 04:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

For a single amplifier or any other device a PCB is expensive, needs to designed and manufactured. Usually the sensible minimum quantity to make PCB is some 5 pcs. Therefore a point to point is so popular in tube constructions. There is an other option. Use a vero-board or similar prototyping board which has 2,54 mm raster to accommodate op-amps and similar circuits. Then just make the wiring at the copper side of the board.
Old 19th July 2012, 04:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. What PCB material have you used?

Regards,

Stef.
Old 19th July 2012, 04:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artosalo View Post
For a single amplifier or any other device a PCB is expensive, needs to designed and manufactured. Usually the sensible minimum quantity to make PCB is some 5 pcs. Therefore a point to point is so popular in tube constructions. There is an other option. Use a vero-board or similar prototyping board which has 2,54 mm raster to accommodate op-amps and similar circuits. Then just make the wiring at the copper side of the board.
Hi Artosolo,
That is actually a brilliant idea, but do the valves bases which tom mentioned fit on vero boards?

Regards,

Stef.
Old 19th July 2012, 06:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I make point-to-point PCBs. That means, I make them such a way I always think about flow of currents. In tube amps I combine PCBs with point-to-point wiring.
Old 19th July 2012, 06:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Valve bases fit to vero board at least with a small resizing of the holes. I have never seen this as a problem.
Old 19th July 2012, 06:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
I've using PCB made of glass fiber to sustain high voltage in tube and SMPS's circuits. I use the old autotrax 1.6 for DOS and a laser printer. Results are pretty fine.
Old 19th July 2012, 06:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have PCBs made for projects from time to time, typical cost is $150 for 100 copies.
Old 19th July 2012, 06:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for your imputs.

Cheers,

Stef

Hide this!Advertise here!