CCDA SE output stage? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2012, 06:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CCDA SE output stage?

Say I have a typical SE output stage, with an OPT loaded on the anode of a triode.

Would it make any sense, to have another identical triode to do nothing apart from to draw current in opposite phase from the triode driving the OPT? Which would make the current draw appear constant to the PSU? If it would work at all, is it actually beneficial in practice?

Thanks.
Old 18th July 2012, 06:09 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I'm sure this question, or a similar one, came up a few months ago. Yes it would work, after a fashion. To do it properly you would need an identical loudspeaker in an identical room fed by the same length of identical cable, but acoustically isolated from the room you are in. No it would not make any sense, even less sense than the normal CCDA.
Old 19th July 2012, 01:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

So I guess, you are not a fan of normal CCDA?

Say it is to be used with unregulated power supply, where a current draw would correspond to a voltage drop. While it is not possible to have 2 identical triodes driving 2 identical loads, wouldn't it help minimizing current draw fluctuation? But of course if it is in fact an audible improvement is another matter.
Old 19th July 2012, 12:03 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I can't see the point of normal CCDA, especially the constant current aspect of it. I can see some merit in cancelling supply noise (the other feature of CCDA) but cancellation is always a risky thing to do as it relies on a balance between two nasty things remaining balanced. Power supplies can cope with current variation, so why double the number of valves just to minimise something which doesn't matter? When you load the CCDA the current balance disappears anyway!

Hide this!Advertise here!