• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Preamp Grounding Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a question about wiring the ground for the preamp I'm working on, it is using an Aikido all in one octal pcb. I am using an input selector switch that switches grounds and have isolated the RCA jacks. The chassis is wood with a .125" aluminum top plate which the PCB is attached to. RCA jacks are on a separate aluminum plate on the rear of the chassis, input and volume are in the wood front panel.

I am considering wiring the safety ground from the mains input jack and the ground from the PCB to the same point on the top plate, along with the ground outputs of the selector switch. Will this work or can anyone suggest an improved scheme? Thanks!

Safety ground should be used for safety alone. All external metalwork should be connected to it. Signal ground is different as it provided the reference voltage for signals. There must be one and only one connection between these two different grounds. The selector switch handles signal ground. The plate with the RCA sockets should connect to safety ground.

And the power supply ripple is the important part. Modern systems with multiple safety grounds are riddled with ground loops; keeping power supply currents away from signal is the best that's possible (without transformers or balancing). And signal ground must be considered to include safety grounds.

All good fortune,
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.