Sowter 8650 in SE - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2012, 09:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sowter 8650 in SE

Hi,

i got some of this transformers which are normally used in preamp PP output stages:
Sowter Type 8650
I would like to use them in SE, with triode wired 1620/6J7. It looks like rp for this tubes is ~7,5k in my circuit, i'm not sure what to expect from such transformer in SE.

Cheers, Miha
Old 15th July 2012, 10:43 AM   #2
jane is offline jane  Norway
diyAudio Member

The datasheet says 10Hz to 70kHz (+/-0.5dB) driven from a 8k source. On the other hand the frequency plot for the 8650 shows -2dB at 70kHz driven by a 2k source
Anyway, in single ended mode no DC is permitted.
Old 15th July 2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Account disabled at member's request

well you can always parafeed the amp... either choke load it or resistor load it. For calculations there are several excel based sheets such as the one listed here:

parafeed plate choke calculation

The transformer can then be un-gapped however component value and choice is critical to a parafeed design.
Old 15th July 2012, 02:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for confirmations. I would like to keep it transformer coupled with DC into it, like originally built by RCA. I looked into options Alex mentioned, but i don't want redesign here, i need to get as close as possible with modern transformers.
I have several big 50%Ni ungapped output transformers, those could be tested for the start. I know my lows will get worse at a certain point when Al value gets lower, but i don't have much current after all. Some people seem to get away with up to 4mA with this cores, this is what i have more or less. Does anyone of you have experiences with this? If it won't work well i can still buy gapped transformer, although this would cost me and i already have a few ungapped...
I just want to properly build something that works similar to original and see how it behaves. If i recall correctly, original output transformers were attenuated by ~1-2dB at 18kHz, 600 into 10kohm. I will try to find graphs. Not too good when compared to modern transformers, i will probably have different response with new transformers.

Miha

Hide this!Advertise here!