• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sowter 8650 in SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for confirmations. I would like to keep it transformer coupled with DC into it, like originally built by RCA. I looked into options Alex mentioned, but i don't want redesign here, i need to get as close as possible with modern transformers.
I have several big 50%Ni ungapped output transformers, those could be tested for the start. I know my lows will get worse at a certain point when Al value gets lower, but i don't have much current after all. Some people seem to get away with up to 4mA with this cores, this is what i have more or less. Does anyone of you have experiences with this? If it won't work well i can still buy gapped transformer, although this would cost me and i already have a few ungapped...
I just want to properly build something that works similar to original and see how it behaves. If i recall correctly, original output transformers were attenuated by ~1-2dB at 18kHz, 600 into 10kohm. I will try to find graphs. Not too good when compared to modern transformers, i will probably have different response with new transformers.

Miha

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.