• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC85, EL84 tube amp please help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi to all,
i'm new here. i have few tubes myself and i want to make a tube amp but i can't fid the right schematik so i would be thankfull if someone could help. i scavanged 2 el84 tubes from old broken radios and whit them main transformator and the output transformators. i alsso have 1 6l6gc, ECC85, 3x EM08 and more frome old tv's a friend gave me. i would be realy happy if someone would help. thanx. the problem is mostly with the output transformator. it has 3 connections primary from the tube and 2 for a 4ohm speaker marked max power for 4 watts.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• ECC85-collection.jpg
    ECC85-collection.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 683
well yes it's pretty expensive the ecc85. 22 Euro for 1 tube. but some schematics would be helpfull... i have no luck finding anything... as said the most problem are the output transformers. most schematics have only 2/2 ends mine have 3/2 ends

Attachments

• 12072012005.jpg
    12072012005.jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 624
hehehehe lool well thanx for everything and trying to help me...

i jus brew up a low voltage amp out of those two el84 using only one i think that on's wor of ther's bed sound quality and just 2.4 plate current as shown on foto...

i just took some aligatorclips power supply... the gird current is shown on foto, the voltage driving the tube is ~25volts it's perfectly for my headphones.
i have that feeling that somethings is bad but it's working... pretty good sound tough! if i done something wrong just say so...

OMG! i can't upload the immage!

Don't use ECC85 for audio (unless you want to experiment). The are UHF variable transconductance (= nonlinear) triodes. They are designed so that the AGC circuit adjusts their gain by varying the grid voltage. They will distort the audio signal. Better alternative is the ECC88 (lower gain) or ECC83 (higher gain). You can use also ECC81, ECC82, and you can find circuits also with ECF86, etc.

The ECC85 data sheet does not mention AGC. Example circuits for VHF front-ends using ECC85 usually omit AGC. The mutual characteristics for the ECC85 and ECC81 look very similar. The 85 really is an 81 with internal screen and different heater. Neither triode is particularly linear, but OK for small signals and possibly balanced circuits like LTP. ECC83 or 88 will be more linear in appropriate circuits.

ok i have a good schematic... but.... it's not good... as i connected the power tube as shown both way's i got red plated tubes... luky they're working... :confused:

the ecc 85 is pretty good as a preamp tube.

the first foto is the lov voltage amp... the big trafo is just for the fillaments...
later i expanded to stereo the sound was excelent...

the second should be the schematic with wich i got red plated tubes...

Attachments

• 12072012008.jpg
    12072012008.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 615
  • 03012011012.jpg
    03012011012.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 603
SUCCES!

so... after muh searching i finaly found 1 schematic that maybe good.
well let's hope that it is good...
just need to get all the parts.

i also scavanged some tubes aswell! many probably unusable but what can be done abut it.

Attachments

• 19072012045.jpg
    19072012045.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 489
  • PCL84.jpg
    PCL84.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 166
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.