• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Early Sansui Valve Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first posting on this site,so bear with me.I am quite excited by a find on Ebay,I collect ALL Sansui gear,but this one has me beat.It APPEARS TO BE FROM 1954/5,I have searched on various sites ,and have come to a conclusion that this could be a very valuable item.It has The genuine Transformers fitted from 1954,2 6v6 output valves,2 6SN7 valves plus Rectifier valve 5cg4.Also a Rex choke transformer.Looks like dual voltage switch/fuses 110/120v.A switch for 3 inputs,of which are of a bit bigger than mini jacks.It is mono,with weired looking octag/valve sockets.Think it could be one of the kits produced in 1954/5???Would greatly acknolwege any help on this, as I wish to preserve it,and am considering building a replica.Would like to post images but dont know how to at present.

The 3 inputs are RCA jacks...
You can look inside and see if it was home made or factory made.
The factory made will be very clean, the home made is usually not so neat and clean inside. Also there may be a production stamp from the factory...
you can also research the date codes on the capacitors.
The octal sockets are correct, that's normal.

Sansui valve monoblock amp.

Hi thanks for that,the wiring is very neat[in straight lines?],have found a stamp on the output transformer,no,;18490.The capacitors are mostly,of Sankosha,then KDK,NIPPON CHEMICAL.
Resistors are; Rikenohm,wirewound,and Murata.Valves are with japanese circles;are 2x 6V6,2X 6SN7,Rectifier valve is Matsushita 5 cg4 og. Choke coil is Rex manufacturing.I am not sure of what all this means,but other connections seem to be octal sockets.A weired looking switch that maybe on off?.A screwdriver headed rheostat{bias adjustment??]What looks like a volume control,tone control,all on very long shafts,will have another look at the chassis which has a grey/silver hammered finish to see if I can see any more numbers.How do I date the caps?.On the Sansui website history,I see several of these were sent out as ,partially assembled kits?.The mainstransfomer is P 44B WHICH DATES IT TO 1954.Will post pictures soon.Keep in touch.Paul

As far as I remember, Sansui did not sell any KIT of tube amplifiers in 1950's.
They were top branding transformer manufacturer for both power
trans and OPT in Japan. At that time frame, REX was also famous
manufacturer but second tier brand in Japan.

P 44B was famous Power Transformer by Sansui. It is noted that
Input voltage rating of P 44B is AC100V 50/60Hz, not 115V.

Attachments

• sansuiHS5.jpg
    sansuiHS5.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 277
  • REXA.jpg
    REXA.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Hi thanks for that,the wiring is very neat[in straight lines?],have found a stamp on the output transformer,no,;18490.The capacitors are mostly,of Sankosha,then KDK,NIPPON CHEMICAL.
Resistors are; Rikenohm,wirewound,and Murata.Valves are with japanese circles;are 2x 6V6,2X 6SN7,Rectifier valve is Matsushita 5 cg4 og. Choke coil is Rex manufacturing.I am not sure of what all this means,but other connections seem to be octal sockets.A weired looking switch that maybe on off?.A screwdriver headed rheostat{bias adjustment??]What looks like a volume control,tone control,all on very long shafts,will have another look at the chassis which has a grey/silver hammered finish to see if I can see any more numbers.How do I date the caps?.On the Sansui website history,I see several of these were sent out as ,partially assembled kits?.The mainstransfomer is P 44B WHICH DATES IT TO 1954.Will post pictures soon.Keep in touch.Paul
If you have 1954 transformer, that's a good vintage, but you know the approximate year now. Is there a kit in 1954?
I think factory made?
I think I would replace all the electrolytics,
I don't have much faith in caps this old.

About 30 years is about all I can expect an electrolytic to last, if that long...
You want to make sure the mains voltage is set correctly, or step it down to the correct voltage.

Last edited:
Restarting this old Sansui.

Well thanks for that info,I have a VARIAC.But an engineer friend of mine is coming today to look at it, to fathom out what goes where, see ,I am not sure even where the power goes in,on what leads do what yet.My real aim is just to get it up and running, then try to build 2 REPLICAS ,of the same type using modern components, which could be very interesting to say the least! Cheers Paul

the japs is a strange of kind,they made tube type specially for their own number,and why
they were doing these,are they afraid of losing their market share of their counterpart?
now you own a japs vintage,some tubes you gotta go japan and buy!!!National(Matsushita) used some odd number power output tubes on their stereo receiver too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.