Early Sansui Valve Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2012, 11:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Early Sansui Valve Amp

This is my first posting on this site,so bear with me.I am quite excited by a find on Ebay,I collect ALL Sansui gear,but this one has me beat.It APPEARS TO BE FROM 1954/5,I have searched on various sites ,and have come to a conclusion that this could be a very valuable item.It has The genuine Transformers fitted from 1954,2 6v6 output valves,2 6SN7 valves plus Rectifier valve 5cg4.Also a Rex choke transformer.Looks like dual voltage switch/fuses 110/120v.A switch for 3 inputs,of which are of a bit bigger than mini jacks.It is mono,with weired looking octag/valve sockets.Think it could be one of the kits produced in 1954/5???Would greatly acknolwege any help on this, as I wish to preserve it,and am considering building a replica.Would like to post images but dont know how to at present.
Old 12th July 2012, 06:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The 3 inputs are RCA jacks...
You can look inside and see if it was home made or factory made.
The factory made will be very clean, the home made is usually not so neat and clean inside. Also there may be a production stamp from the factory...
you can also research the date codes on the capacitors.
The octal sockets are correct, that's normal.
Old 12th July 2012, 07:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Sansui valve monoblock amp.

Hi thanks for that,the wiring is very neat[in straight lines?],have found a stamp on the output transformer,no,;18490.The capacitors are mostly,of Sankosha,then KDK,NIPPON CHEMICAL.
Resistors are; Rikenohm,wirewound,and Murata.Valves are with japanese circles;are 2x 6V6,2X 6SN7,Rectifier valve is Matsushita 5 cg4 og. Choke coil is Rex manufacturing.I am not sure of what all this means,but other connections seem to be octal sockets.A weired looking switch that maybe on off?.A screwdriver headed rheostat{bias adjustment??]What looks like a volume control,tone control,all on very long shafts,will have another look at the chassis which has a grey/silver hammered finish to see if I can see any more numbers.How do I date the caps?.On the Sansui website history,I see several of these were sent out as ,partially assembled kits?.The mainstransfomer is P 44B WHICH DATES IT TO 1954.Will post pictures soon.Keep in touch.Paul
Old 12th July 2012, 11:00 AM   #4
ja2dhc is offline ja2dhc  Japan
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ja2dhc Send a message via MSN to ja2dhc Send a message via Yahoo to ja2dhc
As far as I remember, Sansui did not sell any KIT of tube amplifiers in 1950's.
They were top branding transformer manufacturer for both power
trans and OPT in Japan. At that time frame, REX was also famous
manufacturer but second tier brand in Japan.

P 44B was famous Power Transformer by Sansui. It is noted that
Input voltage rating of P 44B is AC100V 50/60Hz, not 115V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sansuiHS5.jpg (105.2 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg REXA.jpg (101.1 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by ja2dhc; 12th July 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 13th July 2012, 03:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Please be certain that it doesn't get powered up until you've read up about reforming the electrolytic capacitors - that would needlessly wreck some of it.

All good fortune,
Chris
Old 13th July 2012, 04:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjturnerone View Post
Hi thanks for that,the wiring is very neat[in straight lines?],have found a stamp on the output transformer,no,;18490.The capacitors are mostly,of Sankosha,then KDK,NIPPON CHEMICAL.
Resistors are; Rikenohm,wirewound,and Murata.Valves are with japanese circles;are 2x 6V6,2X 6SN7,Rectifier valve is Matsushita 5 cg4 og. Choke coil is Rex manufacturing.I am not sure of what all this means,but other connections seem to be octal sockets.A weired looking switch that maybe on off?.A screwdriver headed rheostat{bias adjustment??]What looks like a volume control,tone control,all on very long shafts,will have another look at the chassis which has a grey/silver hammered finish to see if I can see any more numbers.How do I date the caps?.On the Sansui website history,I see several of these were sent out as ,partially assembled kits?.The mainstransfomer is P 44B WHICH DATES IT TO 1954.Will post pictures soon.Keep in touch.Paul
If you have 1954 transformer, that's a good vintage, but you know the approximate year now. Is there a kit in 1954?
I think factory made?
I think I would replace all the electrolytics,
I don't have much faith in caps this old.

About 30 years is about all I can expect an electrolytic to last, if that long...
You want to make sure the mains voltage is set correctly, or step it down to the correct voltage.

Last edited by soundguruman; 13th July 2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 13th July 2012, 06:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Restarting this old Sansui.

Well thanks for that info,I have a VARIAC.But an engineer friend of mine is coming today to look at it, to fathom out what goes where, see ,I am not sure even where the power goes in,on what leads do what yet.My real aim is just to get it up and running, then try to build 2 REPLICAS ,of the same type using modern components, which could be very interesting to say the least! Cheers Paul
Old 13th July 2012, 06:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Question Sansui valve amp

By the way, I know all the other valves are obtainable,but where do I obtain a ; 5 C G 4 VALVE???????? OR its equivalent?.
Old 13th July 2012, 02:20 PM   #9
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

From http://www.fourwater.com/files/fullrect.txt:

"The 5CG4 is rare, but is essentially a 5V4 type tube in a small GT package."

--
Old 14th July 2012, 09:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

the japs is a strange of kind,they made tube type specially for their own number,and why
they were doing these,are they afraid of losing their market share of their counterpart?
now you own a japs vintage,some tubes you gotta go japan and buy!!!National(Matsushita) used some odd number power output tubes on their stereo receiver too.

Hide this!Advertise here!