mismatched transformer impedance question. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2012, 07:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default mismatched transformer impedance question.

again thanks for all the previous help with this amplifier but i have one more quick question.

from the photofacts manual for my Sylvania 45C14M i see the transformers have a mismatched impedance requirement so i am concerned about using a new a speaker pair i got.
i have been reading allot about it and i found many different opinions on matching impedance to an amplifiers output. some say its all bull, some say
you can go down in impedance on tube amps but not on solid state, and some say itís the other way around.
now i am totally confused on this. based on the schematic and transformer info in the links included,
do you think itís safe to run a 4 ohm load on the transformer asking for a 6-8 ohm load?

they are a pair of MB quart QLC104 bookshelf speakers and the speakers are perfectly matched at 4 ohms

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5...age0001web.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/608...age0001web.jpg

i really appreciate all the help.
Old 11th July 2012, 07:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It looks like the amplifier was designed to work with 8 ohm speakers.
You can connect 4 ohm speakers to the amplifier but the result will be somewhat less output power and an slight increase in distortion.
Try them.

Hide this!Advertise here!