• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Second-hand or NOS tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well. the Chinese have also their New Old Stock I guess. The Chinese 6SL7 looks really old, like it's done with aged parts. It might become a classic someday, who knows. :D As for fakes, well I wouldn't even call them fakes, just bad jokes. Maybe they're upping their game, don't know. It will take a lot of good work to fool me but I'm not saying it isn't possible. But, so far, my opinion of the Chinese is that they're not professional scammers, just a bunch of amateurs. Foolish and naive amateurs.
I read there is some NOS WE 300B and big Triodes that arent NOS, but fakes, I unaware the situation on 6SL7 and other small tubes.

For heating a unused NOS tube, I would add: procedure heating electrically just the Cathode, not grid and plate.
Seems there is a interesting thread in this Forum about baking power tubes, but I fail to find it...

FullRangeMan said:
You can not plug and play a NOS tube in the amp, as the cathode go to sleep after 6 month or so.
No. Cathodes deteriorate through use or abuse, not lack of use.

clean some possible gas built inside the tube over the years.
Yes, maybe. Some NOS valves have higher than usual grid current at first, although still usable in most circuits. This often improves once they have been hot for a while.

Cassiel said:
But, so far, my opinion of the Chinese is that they're not professional scammers, just a bunch of amateurs. Foolish and naive amateurs.
So the almost routine omission of EMI filtering components from Chinese-made SMPS in computers, light fittings etc. is just an unfortunate accident on the production line which just happens to be repeated in lots of factories because of poor quality control? They accidentally set up the inductor insertion machine with wire links, and the capacitor insertion machine is left empty because of poor stock control? Strangely, the CE sticker applier never seems to run out!

My company sources product from factories in China. We inspect them regularly. We know their people on a personal basis and have known them for very many years. They are not cheap, but they are good, reliable, and honourable when problems arise (whether their fault or anyone else's). There is a tendency to regard all Chinese suppliers are similar. They certainly are not.

As with all things - you get what you pay for. A big problem these days is that the consumer expects always to get more for less money, and the retailers (especially supermarkets) are more interested in shifting boxes than protecting a brand's reputation. Sadly, this has resulted in many people taking the view that Chinese goods are always inferior. Again, they are not.

There is certainly a problem in some areas with counterfeit goods, poorly quality components, corner cutting, and so on (cheap power supplies on Ebay are a great example). But if you source from good suppliers and treat them with respect they can supply product built to very high standards which can match anything that we can build in the west.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the Chinese can only produce dross and scams. I realise that they can do high quality work, but in many cases this seems to be only when they know someone is looking. Too many Western brands (not just supermarkets!) never bother to inspect what their Chinese contractors are producing.

I have heard that some of the decent Chinese firms have started to realise that their reputation is being sullied by their less scrupulous countrymen. Hopefully this will eventually get through to their government and they will begin to clamp down. Europe went through this phase a long time ago, although there are some signs that we may be returning to it!

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the Chinese can only produce dross and scams. I realise that they can do high quality work, but in many cases this seems to be only when they know someone is looking. Too many Western brands (not just supermarkets!) never bother to inspect what their Chinese contractors are producing.

Don't worry - I didn't think that you were implying... It's just that I see a tendency on many forums for China bashing, often from people that have never been there, or worked with them, or visited and worked in Chinese factories (some dreadful, some that put many western facilities to shame). I was going to respond earlier and was not replying to your post in particular.

I have heard that some of the decent Chinese firms have started to realise that their reputation is being sullied by their less scrupulous countrymen. Hopefully this will eventually get through to their government and they will begin to clamp down. Europe went through this phase a long time ago, although there are some signs that we may be returning to it!

You are right - our suppliers are certainly aware of the issues and they do significant testing on their component supplies and so on to protect their own reputations. I think that the Chinese government is already well aware of the issues and will, over time, work to improve the situation. But the scale of the country and its industry means that it is a monumental task that requires not only legislation and enforcement but also a significant change of culture in some areas.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
So the almost routine omission of EMI filtering components from Chinese-made SMPS in computers, light fittings etc. is just an unfortunate accident on the production line which just happens to be repeated in lots of factories because of poor quality control? They accidentally set up the inductor insertion machine with wire links, and the capacitor insertion machine is left empty because of poor stock control? Strangely, the CE sticker applier never seems to run out!

To explain myself better: I consider a good scam the one that goes unnoticed and a medium good scam the one that goes little noticed. Those who are obvious to the eye are bad, amateur jobs.

The West has its morons too....

No doubt about that.

No. Cathodes deteriorate through use or abuse, not lack of use.

May be certain in some circumstances, but not always. I had an all-tube B&W TV set that past several weeks without powering it, the CRT becomes poor emission, when last turn off it was working pretty fine.

This is an unfortunately true. Here in Argentina, the *** of the world, due to lack of IRAM controls (IRAM stands for Instituto Argentino Racionalizador de Materiales, an official organism that wold control industrial product) never had test them, and the current market is saturated of SMPS´s irradiating all kinds of spurious signals. Consequences: the 80 and 40 mts ham bands are unusable all day long.

Nice article about fake chinese food, sorry for the OT
Unhappy Meals: China's Top 8 Fake Foods

I agree with 12E1, China can build and produce great stuff, they just offer you the cheap or the expensive choice. Most of buyers choose the cheap alternative, that's where the bad fame comes from. Germany don't have a cheap alternative, that may be a reason why their products are so high regarded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.