diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Will this ebay cover fit my Scott 272 integrated amp? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/215891-will-ebay-cover-fit-my-scott-272-integrated-amp.html)

bigbargain 10th July 2012 02:42 AM

Will this ebay cover fit my Scott 272 integrated amp?

Sorry the ad doesn't contain alot of info but I have asked him for more. I will post whatever he answers.

However while I wait, I was hoping someone here knew more about Scott 272 covers than I do (I've never seen one, but I do have the amp).

THANKS for any help you can provide!! (of course I need an answer quick as the auction is going to end soon)

VINTAGE SCOTT TOP COVER FOR SCOTT INTEGRATED TUBE AMPLIFIER | eBay

bigbargain 10th July 2012 12:04 PM

Got an answer...

He says the cover fits a 222 or a 299. So what does that say about my 272? Does this clue help answer the question of if it would fit?

kevinkr 10th July 2012 04:54 PM

Try here for some additional information: HHScott Vacuum Tubes -- Collectors' Corner, Technical Restoration Advice
It appears that the associated forum is dead and gone, the last updates here were around 2004, but there is a lot of information available there.

I used to service a lot of vintage Scott gear in the 1980s and 1990s, but no longer remember a whole lot of detail. I suspect the 272 will not fit a case for a 299..

In addition when installed in a case these amplifiers run extremely hot and it is probably kinder to the amplifier not to run it in a case at all, and they do look cool.

Hopefully yours has been thoroughly gone through, and critical coupling caps and supply electrolytics replaced.

tubelab.com 10th July 2012 06:04 PM

I don't have a 299 handy, but my memory says that they were smaller than the 272 which is pretty big.

Frank Berry 10th July 2012 06:12 PM

The 272 was taller than the 299. Not quite as wide.

Triodethom 10th July 2012 07:04 PM

The 272 beside me is 15.25 in wide 13.625 deep and 5.5 in tall.

Frank Berry 10th July 2012 07:12 PM

My HH Scott 299-C is 14.5" wide, 12" deep and 4" tall.
These are the chassis dimensions.

bigbargain 10th July 2012 11:07 PM

You guys are Awesome!

I knew this was the right place to ask my question.

Guess it means I won't be buying that cover, but given the comments maybe it was a good idea not to (heat).

I do want to put a cover over it - originally I was thinking about reusing the walnut that the big record storage, etc. cab that it came in. Beautiful wood, but I only want something to make the actual amp look "finnished".

So how big a problem will heat be if I put it in a case, and is there any suggestions for reducing heat (I don't want a fan in it). I see lots of cases with big screened areas over the tubes. That's the design I was planing to use, but are you saying that even that will reduce air flow too much?