samsung experiments with "tube sound" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2012, 03:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default samsung experiments with "tube sound"

some recent Samsung home theater products have a pair of 12AX7 tubes in a circular container visible from the top of the unit. looking at the schematic of the tube module reveals (actually the tube bases only are shown in the schematic, but it's only a minute's work to draw it out properly) it's a SRPP stage (one each for front left and right). i've seen this on a HTIB system (HT-E67xx) and an AV receiver (don't remember the model). it's really not a whole lot of difference that it makes, especially considering the cheap speakers and the cheap class D amps Samsung uses in these systems, but the tubes look nice....
Old 9th July 2012, 06:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I would never buy anything new from Samsung. Today this company looks more like "Hit-n-run" company that sells you production that dies, drops you as a customer, and offers to buy more.

I bought laser printer, after warranty period ended it stopped working. It powers on then immediately shuts down with no diagnostic. I tried to get support, and failed. Their website organized such a way you can't find any information how to fix the problem, you can't fill the forms because they lead to pages that either crash, or can't find serial number in their databases, and so on. everything leads to "buy new". Then I found the page where I could enter the information finally, it was a page about feedback and rating. I filled up the form explaining the problem. Few weeks after I got e-mail from non-existing e-mail account ("Don't reply') address stating that my review had not been posted, but thanks anyway for the feedback.
The Samsung printer ended in a dumpster. I bought HP printer, and will never buy anything from Samsung anymore.

The only reason why they use tubes I believe is because people buy things with tubes inside. Period. I would not expect some good quality from the fact that the device uses tubes.

Last edited by Wavebourn; 9th July 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 9th July 2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member

I've had the opposite experience. I have two Samsung laser printers that are 8 years old and running fine. My Galaxy Nexus is a great phone. Having lived in Korea, I've used alot of Samsung, and they're a brand I would trust more than LG.

The tubes are just a fashion statement. I'm surprised they did anything more than hook up the heaters.
Old 9th July 2012, 07:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Samsung chairman is a big audio fan. He tried to launch a line of high end gear designed by Mark Levinson but it didn't get anywhere.

He also bought Luxman....not the gear, the whole company! Since sold.

I'd say that awareness of tube audio is much higher in Korea, at least in Seoul, than it is in the West. There are still a lot of brick and mortar audio stores are around and they are all loaded with vintage and modern tube gear.

Sure this is a marketing ploy rather than an sonic coup, but it is interesting to see the big boys moving in this direction.
Old 9th July 2012, 08:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
I've had the opposite experience. I have two Samsung laser printers that are 8 years old and running fine. My Galaxy Nexus is a great phone. Having lived in Korea, I've used alot of Samsung, and they're a brand I would trust more than LG.

The tubes are just a fashion statement. I'm surprised they did anything more than hook up the heaters.
Things change. I also used alot of Samsung equipment. I used Samsung cellphone many years, it was indestructable. Until last month a killer wale splashed salty water on me; the cellphone was in my chest pocket.

Now they are different, their production is different, and obviously their goals are different. "Grab money and run away quickly."
Check their website, try to get some info, or to claim any problem. A big hyperlinked sales ad lettuce, nothing more.
Old 9th July 2012, 10:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The real reason the mega company SANSUNG is using tubes in its products, is the Shuguang chinese tubes factory is owned by SANSUNG himself.

When I know it, I realise why Shuguang big Triodes tubes(and even 300B tubes) had a long, permanent historical of unreliability...
Old 9th July 2012, 10:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I would never buy anything new from Samsung. Today this company looks more like "Hit-n-run" company that sells you production that dies, drops you as a customer, and offers to buy more.

I bought laser printer, after warranty period ended it stopped working. It powers on then immediately shuts down with no diagnostic. I tried to get support, and failed. Their website organized such a way you can't find any information how to fix the problem, you can't fill the forms because they lead to pages that either crash, or can't find serial number in their databases, and so on. everything leads to "buy new". Then I found the page where I could enter the information finally, it was a page about feedback and rating. I filled up the form explaining the problem. Few weeks after I got e-mail from non-existing e-mail account ("Don't reply') address stating that my review had not been posted, but thanks anyway for the feedback.
The Samsung printer ended in a dumpster. I bought HP printer, and will never buy anything from Samsung anymore.

The only reason why they use tubes I believe is because people buy things with tubes inside. Period. I would not expect some good quality from the fact that the device uses tubes.
In my country SAMSUNG and LG do exactly what you said, in all the letters.
And of course LG and SAMSUNG are the first and second place in the consumer complaint public office.

Here the LCD/LEDs TVs from PHILIPS, LG and SAMSUNG are know for break just after the warranty time, this happen since many years and nothing happens with these companies, no even a little fine.
Old 9th July 2012, 10:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I question this often repeated notion that Samsung owns Shuguang. Shugaung is a huge state-owned business group but they may have cooperative arrangements on some products (not audio tubes) with Korean manufuacturers.

For example, LG and Philips co own a factory with Shuguang.
see: SHUGUANG ELECTRON GROUP CO.,LTD and there are a few more mentions of joint enterprises with LG.

But I'd bet we are talking LCDs and TV/phone parts not 12AX7s.

Shuguang Group owns hospitals, real estate management, logistics, and a large variety of enterprises. In this sense it is like Samsung Group and LG group. Samsung does not own Shuguang.
Old 9th July 2012, 11:16 PM   #9
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

Here it is...

Introducing Samsung's Tube Amplifier

EDIT Looking further into this, it won't even play FLAC files. It's obviously not being sold to the audiophile crowd so I wouldn't expect much.

Last edited by mattmcl; 9th July 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 9th July 2012, 11:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
Does that expensive boombox have a counter of number of tunes it plays, and / or counter of hours it operated?

I would not be surprised if it starts demanding to buy new tubes with factory added chip that counts tunes, and shuts down after warranty ended completely, like their printers do.

Hide this!Advertise here!