• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

samsung experiments with "tube sound"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
some recent Samsung home theater products have a pair of 12AX7 tubes in a circular container visible from the top of the unit. looking at the schematic of the tube module reveals (actually the tube bases only are shown in the schematic, but it's only a minute's work to draw it out properly) it's a SRPP stage (one each for front left and right). i've seen this on a HTIB system (HT-E67xx) and an AV receiver (don't remember the model). it's really not a whole lot of difference that it makes, especially considering the cheap speakers and the cheap class D amps Samsung uses in these systems, but the tubes look nice....

I would never buy anything new from Samsung. Today this company looks more like "Hit-n-run" company that sells you production that dies, drops you as a customer, and offers to buy more.

I bought laser printer, after warranty period ended it stopped working. It powers on then immediately shuts down with no diagnostic. I tried to get support, and failed. Their website organized such a way you can't find any information how to fix the problem, you can't fill the forms because they lead to pages that either crash, or can't find serial number in their databases, and so on. everything leads to "buy new". Then I found the page where I could enter the information finally, it was a page about feedback and rating. I filled up the form explaining the problem. Few weeks after I got e-mail from non-existing e-mail account ("Don't reply') address stating that my review had not been posted, but thanks anyway for the feedback.
The Samsung printer ended in a dumpster. I bought HP printer, and will never buy anything from Samsung anymore.

The only reason why they use tubes I believe is because people buy things with tubes inside. Period. I would not expect some good quality from the fact that the device uses tubes.

Last edited:
I've had the opposite experience. I have two Samsung laser printers that are 8 years old and running fine. My Galaxy Nexus is a great phone. Having lived in Korea, I've used alot of Samsung, and they're a brand I would trust more than LG.

The tubes are just a fashion statement. I'm surprised they did anything more than hook up the heaters.

Samsung chairman is a big audio fan. He tried to launch a line of high end gear designed by Mark Levinson but it didn't get anywhere.

He also bought Luxman....not the gear, the whole company! Since sold.

I'd say that awareness of tube audio is much higher in Korea, at least in Seoul, than it is in the West. There are still a lot of brick and mortar audio stores are around and they are all loaded with vintage and modern tube gear.

Sure this is a marketing ploy rather than an sonic coup, but it is interesting to see the big boys moving in this direction.

I've had the opposite experience. I have two Samsung laser printers that are 8 years old and running fine. My Galaxy Nexus is a great phone. Having lived in Korea, I've used alot of Samsung, and they're a brand I would trust more than LG.

The tubes are just a fashion statement. I'm surprised they did anything more than hook up the heaters.

Things change. I also used alot of Samsung equipment. I used Samsung cellphone many years, it was indestructable. Until last month a killer wale splashed salty water on me; the cellphone was in my chest pocket.

Now they are different, their production is different, and obviously their goals are different. "Grab money and run away quickly."
Check their website, try to get some info, or to claim any problem. A big hyperlinked sales ad lettuce, nothing more.

I would never buy anything new from Samsung. Today this company looks more like "Hit-n-run" company that sells you production that dies, drops you as a customer, and offers to buy more.

I bought laser printer, after warranty period ended it stopped working. It powers on then immediately shuts down with no diagnostic. I tried to get support, and failed. Their website organized such a way you can't find any information how to fix the problem, you can't fill the forms because they lead to pages that either crash, or can't find serial number in their databases, and so on. everything leads to "buy new". Then I found the page where I could enter the information finally, it was a page about feedback and rating. I filled up the form explaining the problem. Few weeks after I got e-mail from non-existing e-mail account ("Don't reply') address stating that my review had not been posted, but thanks anyway for the feedback.
The Samsung printer ended in a dumpster. I bought HP printer, and will never buy anything from Samsung anymore.

The only reason why they use tubes I believe is because people buy things with tubes inside. Period. I would not expect some good quality from the fact that the device uses tubes.

In my country SAMSUNG and LG do exactly what you said, in all the letters.
And of course LG and SAMSUNG are the first and second place in the consumer complaint public office.

Here the LCD/LEDs TVs from PHILIPS, LG and SAMSUNG are know for break just after the warranty time, this happen since many years and nothing happens with these companies, no even a little fine.

I question this often repeated notion that Samsung owns Shuguang. Shugaung is a huge state-owned business group but they may have cooperative arrangements on some products (not audio tubes) with Korean manufuacturers.

For example, LG and Philips co own a factory with Shuguang.
see: SHUGUANG ELECTRON GROUP CO.,LTD and there are a few more mentions of joint enterprises with LG.

But I'd bet we are talking LCDs and TV/phone parts not 12AX7s.

Shuguang Group owns hospitals, real estate management, logistics, and a large variety of enterprises. In this sense it is like Samsung Group and LG group. Samsung does not own Shuguang.

Does that expensive boombox have a counter of number of tunes it plays, and / or counter of hours it operated?

Hahahaha! Actually printer timers just register the date of initial turn-on then reject the ink cartridge a set # of days later. Hours of operation don't have anything to do with it!

In any event, if Samsung were serious they would be shipping with NOS Telefunken smooth plates, not Chinese.

I question this often repeated notion that Samsung owns Shuguang. Shugaung is a huge state-owned business group but they may have cooperative arrangements on some products (not audio tubes) with Korean manufuacturers.

For example, LG and Philips co own a factory with Shuguang.
see: SHUGUANG ELECTRON GROUP CO.,LTD and there are a few more mentions of joint enterprises with LG.

But I'd bet we are talking LCDs and TV/phone parts not 12AX7s.

Shuguang Group owns hospitals, real estate management, logistics, and a large variety of enterprises. In this sense it is like Samsung Group and LG group. Samsung does not own Shuguang.
Thanks for clarifying.
In these mega trans-national corporations is more and more difficult to know simple things as who owns the company, or who is the mother/holding company. :scratch:

Back on topic: Philips put something similar on the market, one or two years ago. A small stereo system, hardly different from a boombox (plastic speakers in a flashy 'loud' design, you know what they're like) In this case I think only the heaters were connected, supported by a nice red LED..) I was glad to see tubes in a mainstream audio component, but of course it's only providing a reason to choose it from all the other ****

Somewhere around here I have a 6L6GC that is branded "Samsung Electron Devices.....made in Korea". I can post a picture when I find it. I got it at a flea market (in the ESRC parking lot) for a quarter. I bought it since I had never seen anything like it and I have no idea who actually made it. It does not look anything like the Shuguang made 6L6GC's that I have.

Did Samsung ever make tubes in Korea?

And of course LG and SAMSUNG are the first and second place in the consumer complaint public office.

I am viewing this on an LG TV set that I use as a computer monitor. Where else can you get a 32 inch monitor for $300. I use a Samsung Android phone. It is almost 2 years old and works good. It is made in Korea. The iPhone, most Motorola and Nokia phones are all made in the same Foxconn factory in China. I have no idea where Sherri's Blackberry is made, but it is a total POS that reboots or locks up regularly. I think you can find good and bad examples of all of the above mentioned company's products.

Does anyone remember the computer motherboard from the 486 / Pentium 1 era that had a 6DJ8 on it. Motherboards only had 2 channel audio then and the tube provided "warmth" to the sound. I have no idea how the tube was wired, but I did verify that the sound died when the tube was pulled and it took a while to come back when the (cold) tube was replaced.

Last edited:
I think the Samsung equips sold in US and EU are very better than what they sell in my country.
As a exemple, in my country in the 90 years, SONY sell here CRT TVs that are #5 grade quality, and in the final 90 years, Sony up Brasil TVs to the #4 grade quality.
The #1 grade quality were sold in Japan and US.

Surely something similar happen with the LG and Sansung TVs now, these equips broke very easy, why they are the lowest grade quality.
How to fix a broken plasma screen. - YouTube

The two cases occur here, but there are models that exist only here.
Usually the models sold here are the same, and sometimes like/similar the Americans and Europeans, but the image quality is inferior and the durability is short, or just after the warranty expires (one year).
The nomenclature of the models is the same or nearly the same, differing only in the final letters.

Some TVs models in the brazilian site sports the MTBF info as 30K houns only, not 60K.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.