• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is this speaker a good choice for Tube amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FWIW, from an online review:

"The ES80 presents a nominal 8 ohm load with a 91dB efficiency. The speaker proved to be a tougher load than the specs would indicate and needed good-quality power to open up properly, not excelling with entry-level power sources. Better-quality power sources improved things significantly."

That does not bode well for use with low power tube amps, especially those amps with no global NFB to reduce the amp's output resistance.

--

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm pretty happy with my KRK R6 speakers on my 300B SET amp. I paid $240 total including shipping for the speakers.

Studio monitors is where it's at in my opinion. Incredible bang for the buck. And specs... What a concept. :) My KRKs are flat from about 50~60 Hz up past 15 kHz. I think at 20 kHz they're a few (2~3) dB down. Like most speaker with a passive XO, they do have a slight harshness around the crossover frequency due to cone breakup. I run mine biamped with an active XO. That takes care of the harshness...

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.