Hi Everyone! Your thoughts on my Yaqin dilemma - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2012, 07:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Thinker1920
Default Hi Everyone! Your thoughts on my Yaqin dilemma

Hi Everybody

Well I've joined a couple audio forums recently looking for ideas, and just good conversation about my current favorite hobby .

So here's my story.... I stared out with a miniwatt N3 from China (appj) paired with RTi 4's and Really loved it compared to anything else I've heard, which had only been SS gear. Now I know that everyone tells me that the RTi's aren't a good match for the miniwatt but, played at lower volumes (about the 9 o'clock position) I found them very pleasent and only was dissappointed at higher volumes since the miniwatt couldn't cut it for songs with a lot going on, espeicially if it was really bassy but, this was only the occasional song that I was really into and wanted to turn it up. So I was content for a while.

Later I saved up my pennies and sold the miniwatt + polks and bought the yaqin mc 10L after reading many happy reviews, in I think it was the fall of 2011? and I got a very good deal on a pair of Polk LSi 15's that were mint but, after much listening and trying different tubes Russian 6nip-ev's and JJ el 34's and the russian version of the el 34 (which I haven't tried yet) there still wasn't that deep wide warm sound that I loved about the miniwatt (very 3d soundstage), in fact it doesn't sound much different from my onkyo tx sr 876 (which is another gem I got an amazing deal on) it sounds maybe slightly better.

In my frustration and disappointment I bought another Miniwatt and I couldn't get the RTi 4's at a a good price so I ended up with RTi 6's since they're clearancing them out. and found myself back at the beginning again

Then just recently I got a good deal on a motorola amp pulled from a console and it had been completely refurbed new caps etc.. it's a single ended 5 watt amp (1.5 watts more than the miniwatt) It makes a difference! the bass is remarkable but, it has 12au7's (currently has JAN Philips 5814a's) and they just don't have the same sound stage as a 12ax7, so I'm trying to build a tube preamp with tone controls to try to fix that ( I got a tube tuner to pull parts from for $13)

But this just brings me back to the yaqin, if I can't improve it, I'm gonna have to sell it and I just know I'm not going to get the $518 I paid for it back not to mentions the $200 in tubes I got for it and the LSi's are Great but at 88 Db my Single ended amps aren't going to drive them, so they're kinda connected to the yaqin I've heard about People rewiring the yaqins to run in Triode mode and was wondering if that would open it up but, I also know this reduces the power so would there be enough kick left to run the LSi's?

This is my dilemma, any thoughts, help will be Greatly appreciated!
Old 5th July 2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Hi_Q is offline Hi_Q  England
diyAudio Member

Hi - Are you sure it is the amp that is to blame? The MC10-L is a fine amp for the $ and greatly enjoyed by many owners. You may not have the right speakers, or their placement or room furnishings that could be affecting the sound you are getting. I have gone through a fair number of speakers in my time, from Jordan Watts (heard of them?), a massive pair of Louthers that almost filled the room with their huge acoustic labyrinth built into the cabinets. Then I went to Acoustic Research and Monitor Audio where I thought this was the best to my ears. While visiting a friend I heard a record being played with some vocal introductions, it seemed the guy speaking was standing in the centre of the room. The sound projection was so amazing that I had to enquire what speakers he was using and they turned out to be Tannoy 12" dual concentrics. I had to get a set of my own but the price was way out of my league so I settled for some smaller 8" units but wow! The sound stage came through with such brilliance that I have stayed with Tannoy since, recently upgrading to a set with extra bass unit. They made my old Yamaha SS amp sound good but to hear my MC10-L through them is a delight. If your amp is set up correct you should have no problems which makes me think that an alternative set of speakers may be an answer. Do you have any mates with alternative speakers that you could borrow for trial purposes? Of course, source material is also important. I notice when playing MP3's (yes I know but it is not that often!) that the process involved totally destroys sound stage, almost to the point that some sound virtually mono! I suppose what I am saying is, try some further experimentation with things the amplifier is handling before condemning the amplifier itself, it is only one part of the chain and no amount of money spent on it to improve it will work if there are other weak links.... Les
Old 5th July 2012, 11:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have tried it with 4 sets of speakers with all the same result "ok" sound ..... It doesn't sound bad but, it doesn't sound great either :P ...... I am a very big fan of DIY mods and am in the process of building a tube preamp from an old knight tuner, so I can't help but think I should just use the parts to make a triode amp instead of the ultra linear that it is.
Old 6th July 2012, 12:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker1920 View Post
But this just brings me back to the yaqin, if I can't improve it, I'm gonna have to sell it and I just know I'm not going to get the $518 I paid for it back not to mentions the $200 in tubes I got for it
Sell the Yaqin, keep the extra tubes you bought for it and build something better. Sounds like you're halfway there already.

jeff
Old 6th July 2012, 12:28 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You could well be facing the difference between an SE & a PP amp.

One also has to consider the Yaqin to be a pre-built Kit, it works out of the box, but could sound SOOOO much better with some tweaks. Joe Rasmussen uses this as a donor to make a 1st class VSE inspired amp.

1st one is to pull the top off and attach some neoprene weather strip to the top of the transformers to help kill the ringing of the cans... i can suggest more. Just be carefully, the one i had, the top cover has sharp edges and just waiting the opportunity to cut you open.

dave
Old 6th July 2012, 08:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

what do you think about converting the yaqin into a super triode? could this be done?

article that I read about another amp being rewired as a super triode Menno van der Veen, audio electronic research & consultancy
Old 6th July 2012, 10:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Location: Near Eindhoven, the sanctum of the pentode. and among that other things.
Send a message via Skype™ to v4lve lover
try getting yourself a 2x31 band graphical EQ Like the Pa guys use.
their quite affordable, Afther all Every Pa sound tech wil tell you he has to tweak the sound to the room hes playing in or try reconfiguring your source

V4lve.
Old 7th July 2012, 01:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You could well be facing the difference between an SE & a PP amp.

dave
+1 - the SE amp will have more even order harmonic distortion (warm tubey sound) the PP (Yaqin) will have more odd order harmonic distortion (brighter sounding). Human hearing is subjective, some folks like the brighter sound and some like the warmer tubey sound.... add to that different speakers will bring out the best parts of each type of amp. Could be you are trying to listen to a speaker that match better with the rich tubey sound and have them plugged into the Yaqin amp which is not a good match or visa versa... My experience with Yaqin amps (MC100b - PP) is mixed ... sitting on the shelf right now. SE amp into horn loaded = much better than the Yaqin into same speakers. SE into DQ-10 sound better (to me) that PP into DQ-10s even tho that's not really a good match on paper....

Could be those speakers you are liking are designed for big power SS gear and not really a good match for tube amps in general. I'd look for some vintage speakers made back in the 60's 70's during the Golden Era of Hifi when there were a lot more tube amps being manufactured (horns preferred here for SE amps).

SE amp sound can be addictive if you are one to like that sound (I am). So going back to PP (mediocre performance = Yaqin) and you are disappointed with the results. I'm out on a limb on that as I don't think there's all that good a quality with design. build and parts in the Yaqin amps in general. But that's just me...and my opinion based on experience. Ever hear sows ear cannot be turned into a race horse.. it's true, which is why you probably wont get all your money back on re-sale for the Yaqin. my .02, TIFWIW.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 8th July 2012, 06:34 PM   #9
Jpeg is offline Jpeg  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree with 2 other posters and had a similar experiance myself. I had a pair of polk monitor 60s that sounded very good with a single-ended magnavox console amp using 6bq5s and sounded a little harsh on my Yaqin MC-100B. It seems the tweeter was more effiecent than the rest of the speaker, and seemed to get more harsh the louder I would turn it up.

To answer your question, you could triode couple the tubes in the Yaqin without huge modifications, but this will not sound the same as a single ended amplifier. The MC-100b has switches on it to switch back and forth between triode and ultra-liner mode, but it is not really a night and day difference. If you wanted to make it into a singe-ended amp you would need a totally different circut and output transformers. The only thing you could really reuse it the power Xformer and tubes.

Have you considered Bi-amping? I see the polk's are capable of this. Use this small single ended amp to power the tweeter and the big push pull amp for the low end. You might wind up with the best of both worlds!

FYI, I wound up upgrading my speakers to a pair of Von Schweikert VR-2s. I am using the Yaqin to drive them and I really like that amp-speaker combination. But that is my ear/room/music, you may totally disagree. That is the inherent problem with buying audio equiment you cannot hear for yourself first. FWIW, you should be able to get a pretty good price if you resell your Yaqin here in the states. There should be plenty of ebayers that would love to not pay that extra $200 in shipping to get one from china.
Old 8th July 2012, 07:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think that's what I'm going to do if the russian output tubes don't improve the sound, I've really been wanting this amp unless anyone could suggest a better Single ended for the money. MP-428 300B V2 Integrated Amplifier (Demo / Open Box Unit) [MP-428-300B-V2] - $489.99 : Musical Paradise, The Art of Music!

Hide this!Advertise here!