• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

volume Pot noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you have your answer. You can sometimes get away with omitting caps for a normal volume pot (although still not ideal) as the resistance variation is smooth. For a switched attenuator the variation is stepped so any DC turns into clicks.

One thing to try as a workaround is adding a high value resistor from output to ground. This may help if the problem is caused by the switch being break-before-make - or return it under warranty?

Actually I believe they are supposed to be make before break switches, but in practice the wiper don't always have good contact. I have a few of those in my builds. It is annoying, but there are workaround:

- If they are new, or they haven't been used in a while, give them A LOT of exercise. You might find that there are some steps that are more problematic than the others, focus on them.

- If they are working well, try not to pull or push the shaft when rotating.

- The pop noise can be reduced by turning the knob very slowly (it becomes more like a scratchy noise than a really loud pop).

It is frustrating at first, but after a while you will be able to learn their temper. :D

Another option is just to use a pot, of whatever price you feel is necessary. What was wrong with the original pot? Have you swapped an imaginary problem for a real one?
this tube amp is a cheap chinese music angel Kt88, some parts are Ok, others like the wiring and pots are crap, Is my hobby and anti-stress therapy, I hard wired all the circuit, i Learned a lot but is a very dangerous work !! thanks God for read before some guidelines about working tube amps, one hand always in my pocket when working probably saved my life, I still have my ear bleeding when my screwdriver made a 450v short !! Now the amp sounds much better than before, there are a lot of parts changed like teflon wiring, capacitors and resistors, the pot is just a small part in the chain. I will attach some pictures of the work later. Thanks for read ;)

Attachments

• P1030512.JPG
    P1030512.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 108
  • P1030513.JPG
    P1030513.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.