• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High-End Tube preamp with ECC88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another interesting article outlining Lynn Olsons mistake with regard to triodes;

KISS 104 by Andre Jute

The point here is that Triodes employ innate local negative feedback, which as has been discussed, is more desirable than gNFB.

Reasons why the same designer eschews gNFB;

The mechanism by which NFB wrecks your sound
Negative feedback at first acquaintance sounds good enough to take to bed and cuddle. It isn't. It isn't even as simple as a superficial acquaintance may suggest. Follow the steps with me, from the theory as she is received to what arrives at your brain as music:

1. In theory NFB reduces all harmonic distortion equally, without discrimination. Strictly in theory it does not reshape harmonic distortion by reducing the most objectionable third and higher order odd harmonic distortion to a greater extent than the relatively harmless 2nd harmonic. Thus NFB at its theoretically most benign is already useless in terms of psychoacoustics, as will become clear at point 4. If you disregard psychoacoustics, as many audio engineers do, NFB is brilliant in reducing total harmonic distortion to a number as tiny as you want. You just pile on more NFB.

2. In real life, as distinct from simplified theory, NFB adds artifacts of its own. Remember, it is a loop. The signal starts at the input and is amplified by devices until it reaches the output. From the output a part of the signal called the negative feedback is fed back to the input. Here a loop is completed and the combination, less distorted, reaches the output again, a part of the combination is fed back, endlessly. The artifacts we want to consider here are created by the fed-back residue of harmonic distortions adding to both the fundamental and the distortions already created by the amplifier, then some portion of the sum of the original and the feedback distortion is fed back again and added on, until the ooh-ah bird flies up its own fundament. It looks marginally less disgusting as a recursive mathematical formula with lots of nested parenthetical parcels of noise being loaded onto your music. But it is a monkey on the back of your sound, with a smaller monkey on the back of the first monkey, a still smaller monkey on the back of the second monkey, and so on ad infinitum. These additive artifacts are all higher harmonics and the more dominant ones are all odd. Suppose, for the sake of simplicity, a superbly designed ultrafidelista amp with some second harmonic and zero odd harmonics before NFB. Add NFB and the second harmonic will be lowered but the recombinant new loop now contains newly added intermodulation effects between the fundamental and the residual second harmonic, and that is third harmonic. In the next cycle a small but nasty dose of fifth harmonic that wasn't there before is added by interaction between the still residual second harmonic and reduced newly added third harmonic. In short, the artifacts NFB adds to the distortion mix are all of the most harmful kind. But, say the proponents of NFB, so what? Every time the loop cycles the added artifacts are smaller, even if there are more of them... The whole affair starts to smell of trying to argue with a Marxist who simply declares any inconvenient truth 'an anomaly'. (If this sounds like a mess from which you should run a mile, you have come to the right conclusion. Start running now. It gets worse.)

3. We thus arrive at a situation where distortion has been lowered by NFB but where the most disturbing odd harmonic distortions are still present to some measure, with the added disadvantage that new and extremely disturbing artifacts of higher harmonic distortions have been created by the very process of using negative feedback to lower distortion. Regardless of the absolute level of THD, or the volume setting, the mix of harmonics has been adversely affected and now includes a higher proportion of third and higher harmonics than before NFB. Let me say that again: after NFB, third and higher harmonics will make up a greater part of the distortion than before.

4. Low volume levels perforce accounts for 99 per cent of audiophile listening because we all have families or neighbours, and we would like to keep our ears. Unfortunately for the lowest common denominator of hi-fi designer, the one who specifies NFB as a conditioned response much like Pavlov's dogs slavered when the bell rang, human physiology and psycho-acoustic response is such that odd harmonics are disproportionately more disturbing at lower than at higher listening levels. This inescapable effect is independent of definition of 'listening level.' At the 110dB in-room SPL (only 14dB louder than an automatic riveter!) advocated by the already deaf Transient Overload Elite known on newsgroups as the Borg, this poisonous concoction of original distortions and NFB recombinant artifacts will be least disturbing (and soon not heard at all!). At any lower level perceived interference of this harmonics cocktail with the music will increase in inverse proportion to the volume level. At low volume levels the artifacts generated by NFB will by their nature as higher harmonic distortions be disproportionately far more disturbing. At these normal listening levels 0.75 per cent of second harmonic distortion may be below the threshhold of perception for sophisticated listeners, whereas tiny amounts of third and higher odd harmonic distortions grate.

And they still use Negative Feedback? Are they stupid?
No, they are not stupid. Most of them march to the drum of a cost accountant on whom we wouldn't spit if he were alight. NFB is as cheap in money terms as it is expensive in terms of perceived quality of music. We shall come to those who claim to be sympathetic to high-fidelity but insist on devices which do not work without NFB, who have another devious answer. Here, meanwhile, for you to keep in mind, is a single-sentence summary of a complicated interdisciplinary argument:

The case against NFB is that for 99 per cent of listening the NFB cure is worse than the disease.

But surely we don't have to do anything so stupid?
It follows from the argument above that ultrafidelista should choose an intrinsically linear topology and device which does not require added negative feedback to 'linearize' the output. The intrinsically linear device is the thermionic tube in either its triode form or as a pentode hogtied to work as a triode, which can be a most pleasing alternative both economically and sonically. The topology is often single-ended operation, chosen also for several other reasons described elsewhere in these articles, including KISS; if the chosen topology is push-pull operation, which is more difficult but far from impossible to arrange without NFB, operation should be specified as Class A1. Inside the argued case above lies too the overwhelming reason to accept the potential small disadvantage that may accompany the preferred topology in comparison to the discarded alternatives. The disadvantage is of course the potential for a residual second harmonic that measures high by transistor or NFB tube standards. (Note the word potential. With a conservatively designed DHT amp the potential problem should not arise.)

The ultrafidelista, who are as keen on silent amps as anyone else, accept this small potential difficulty because it is the lesser evil compared to NFB. Unbelievers (largely unwashed, according to reports) sneer that ultrafidelista like this approach because of the 'added euphonics', which is bow-wow techie talk for the warmth a big chunk of second harmonic lays on a zero negative feedback single-ended amplifier. But competent design can easily reduce the level of second harmonic to below the level of perception without the need for NFB and its deleterious after-effects. In any event, it is your amplifier. You paid for it. You have a right to tune it as you please. The key thing is to get rid of NFB and to understand why you did it.

Can we prove any of this scientifically?
We have already. All of this is the technical subtext to my longtime contention that what the ultrafidelista hear and love is not a directly heated triode sound as is claimed by many enthusiasts but a Class A1, ZNFB sound. (Admittedly, as we have seen above, the right sound is virtually guaranteed with a ZNFB DHT SE amp of conservative provenance but may have to be developed the hard way with more economical or higher-power contenders.) In comparative ABX tests conducted over a number of years, I found that professional musicians, certified golden ears, choose the triode-linked Class A1 PP ZNFB EL34 whenever it is present in the test over all other contenders including SE 300B and 'blameless' high-NFB silicon.

Science also proceeds by pure reason. Ultrafidelista have long doubted whether what engineers insist we measure (the absolute level of distortion, THD) predicts success in audio gear. This is the full circle, because I have just proven by logical, individually uncontested steps that what matters, once a certain modest level of silence is assured to an amplifier, is not the absolute level of disharmonics but their composition. The same proof demonstrates that a more beneficial distribution follows instantly from doing without NFB.

KISS 123 by Andre Jute

As I have said before, most people who employ high amounts of gNFB design high power Williamson type pentode amps that need gNFB to sound acceptable. Very few people out there have ever even heard a zero gNFB PP using class A1 triodes and no coupling caps.

Shoog

This is the sort of statement I don't understand; much of the rest of what you say is hewn from the same rock. You may be able to attach meaning to this collection of words, but my training in theoretical physics and electronic engineering is obviously inadequate for the task. I will leave it to others.

Is this a reverse Sokal hoax?

It isn't intended. I understand it is easy to through things out into the wind. Perhaps some background is in order

I had a pair of tube amplifiers that were given to me. These were Antiques Sound Lab AV-8, the same as numerous friends, and I decided to modify these and add transistor elements. Personally I don't care what I use, the more parts that exist the more creativity and perhaps understanding presents itself. Anyway, in the course of the design I ended up creating an internal high frequency low level oscillator as not affected by the overall feedback loop. It must have had some modest non-linearity in the internal loop gain and as a result it was fairly sinusoidal. My issue was that in removing the oscillation the quality of sound degraded significantly, it lost a natural quality,spatial information and extension.

This is to suggest that my overall feedback loop was accidentally interfered with by an internal high frequency oscillatory system. If the theoretical circuit discussed is now given a frequency and amplitude, which is to say the loop has to pass through an oscillator it would be expected that the mechanism in the loop would be dominated as a function of a shift from the quadrature containing the signal frequencies, more of an FM signal than AM, and whereupon signals other than the oscillation frequency were attenuated.

Bear in mind this is just speculation to try and rationalize my experiences. This is not to suggest that the outcome would in any way change as harmonics, phase or whatever, rather that the nature of the inclusion of an oscillator in the overall feedback path can change the mechanism, perhaps for the better.

And stop reading marketing documents and thinking that they're technical treatises. Hint, for classification purposes: if there's no math and no experimental data, it's unsupported handwaving.

I've found that the difference between "marketing document" and "technical treatise" is not always so clear. This "white paper", Beam Power Tubes by O. H. Schade reads very much like a marketing document. Well, what else would you expect? Schade worked for RCA, and, naturally, wanted as many as possible to be using RCA products, and to have good experiences with same. Therefore, the recommendation that this new type he's discussing, the 6L6, have local NFB applied. Though Schade doesn't admit it, the 6L6 (and the 6L6-oids) sound hideous without lNFB. Much worse than types that have much higher nominal THD figures, due to the lower overall THD having higher order frequencies.

Of course, if Schade had come right out with it: "The 6L6 produces high order harmonics and will sound horrible unless you do the following...", he would have been told in no uncertain terms to remove that (may be he was) or find himself on an unemployment line.

Same with Lynn Olson:

Zero feedback in either local or global circuits. Some would say all triodes have large amounts of local feedback, but I would say, take a close look at the ratio of upper to lower harmonics. For the lower-order harmonics (2nd and 3rd), you'll see a reduction in direct proportion to the amount of feedback. But feedback generates harmonics of its own, in small magnitudes perhaps, but in greatly increased order.

Of course it's nonsense, and a bit of prevarication: what's the definition of "large amounts" here? Like RCA, Olson $ells $tuff. What's the biggest difference between a triode and a pentode anyway? With triodes, Vgk and Vpk are pulling Ip in opposite directions: NFB by definition. No getting around that. What Olson is alluding to is the difference between local and global NFB. What are you gonna do? Until a largely atechnological public at large becomes educated, they will continue to believe nonsense like: NFB is the Spawn of Satan.

I've seen some positively hideous designs. One of the worst was a production amp: PP 6V6s working into OPTs with tiny cores. The PS consisted of a 5Y3 with a 100uF capacitor connected across the load, and no bleed down resistor. What did they care? How many end users would realize that having to replace the 5Y3 (and how many even knew what the 5Y3 did?) every few months wasn't normal? I repeat: this was a production amp from the Great Age of HiFi made by one of the big corporations, and not some half fast design found on an amateur forum.

Nothing has changed since 1938: you have to separate wheat from chaff, sense from nonsense, marketing dept BS from technical golden nuggets, and read between the lines to discover what's really being said.

Last edited:
When reading Schade's article I understood it's message like, "People like triodes and hate 6L6, but if to kook it properly, with local feedback, it is very usable tube". Despite it advocated production of his employer, it was a real technical article, with proper calculations, explanations, tables and graphs of measurements.

Hierfi said:
This is not to suggest that the outcome would in any way change as harmonics, phase or whatever, rather that the nature of the inclusion of an oscillator in the overall feedback path can change the mechanism, perhaps for the better.
Including an oscillator in a feedback amplifier is usually accidental and usually a bad thing. In fact, much higher than expected distortion is a symptom of unwanted oscillation.

To consider all the aspects that emerged from the many consideration-worthy posts above, begins to take on the scope of a post-graduate study, particularly for infrequent visitors like myself!

Two worrying things wriggle on the river bed: (1)The many adjectives used, involuntarily leading to dangers of a meta-physical kind (postulate something however honestly believed, and then progressing with that as if it were established science), and (2) glossing over less-emphasized contrary statements made along the way as if they were simply irrelevant to the main flow of narrative.

All respected, only there is the danger of some important aspects shifting ever closer to the end of the table until they drop off the edge unnoticed.

My repeated contribution at this time:

I have not seen any zero-nfb amplifier which does not have audible distortion. (That according to general acceptance based on a wealth of experimental proof of what is audible).

The much lauded 'linearity' of triodes of whatever kind: Not according to my data books or tests. Yes, mainly 2nd harmonic distortion, to be cancelled in p.p. blah blah blah .... Perhaps the expensive analysers used in the prestigious labs where I worked lacked calibration. Shure, some better than others, requirement of proper circuit design etc. - been there, done that.

My main contribution at this time by measurements and tests (if it is possible for such to still carry weight in the haystack of pronouncements by the celebrities ....): The matter of harmonic multiplication so glibly and simplistically offered as condemnation of gnfb at all. Sure - true enough; but figures please! In any properly designed amplifier this does not occur before the application of heavy amounts of gnfb, far above the level required for reduction of all harmonic products to below any audible level. In this (misuse) is included the low thd figure level chasers hovering in the 0,001% regions.

The following are graphs of decrease of harmonic levels up to 11th, for an ordinary if well-designed 80W transistor amplifier operating at about 40W into a resistive load, vs. amount of gnfb. Sure, the reduced decreasing tendency is evident, particularly for the 11th harmonic. But at the design figure of 28dB of nfb, levels are already close to or buried in noise - no need for more gnfb. If there are golden ears still capable of hearing these - my sympathy for your disadvantage. Mercifully most of us fall short of that.

(Apology for a somewhat smudged picture - figures pasted on afterwards.)

Attachments

• T dist0003.JPG
    T dist0003.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 348
Lynn Olson describes some of the engineering reasons why gNFB sho0uld be avoided, the second point is interesting and none obvious;

I am actually finding it quite difficult to find designers who advocate the use of gNFB. Call that fashion if you like, but then I would call that arrogance.

Shoog

i find this post condescending, full of unfounded insults in such a short post.
....:D:D:D

If one looks at 2nd and 3rd harmonics as appearing on a spectrum analyzer it seems common to attribute other presentations as being necessarily clean or true, namely the DC line, the fundamental frequency and the base line. Under conditions whereupon a 3rd harmonic exists it also contains a fundamental frequency as equally variant in ratio and of variant exponent the 3rd is changed to the major fundamental frequency.

The same can be said for the 2nd, however its artifacts attach to the DC line under conditions of a fixed amplitude fundamental. In a DC circuit with single sided non-linearity the DC quiescent point shifts in relation to the variant amplitude of the fundamental frequencies. As you modulate the amplitude, as again happens in applying audio signals, the modulation frequency component comes off the DC line.

In other words as higher amplitudes of non-linearity are observed in the second harmonic spectrum it also predicts more substance in the DC component. This could result in the psycho acoustic effect of having more energy in the lower frequencies or that an envelope exists around the audio signals being modulated. Perhaps such modulations are viewed as accurately part of the reproduction.

What I am suggesting is that the observable spectrum lines of second and third predicts the existence and amplitudes of the hidden artifacts by some fixed ratio, hence making them unnecessary to include, however the consideration of these artifacts may be critical to the psycho acoustic understanding.

I experimented with discovering the nature of the distortion component waveform some time ago, mainly because a pure 3rd harmonic didn't make any sense in the face of a transfer function creating the distortion. Every point of a fundamental frequency input waveform must be translated to some point on the transfer function.

In the experimentation it was found that the distortion component shape was a constant as observable by taking every point on the fundamental frequency and taking this to the cubic power and maintaining the polarity to the fundamental. This shape contains the 3rd harmonic and a fundamental component, both also changing at the cubic rate as the amplitude of the fundamental is varied.

Lets assume I am mistaken. From the opposing perspective how can one rationalize obtaining only a pure 3rd harmonic as the only form of the non-linearity when you impose every point of a fundamental frequency to the amplifiers transfer function. In other words, what mechanism is in play that could cause that result?

It should also be considered that a third harmonic has one and a half cycles in each half of the fundamental, hence must contains both polarities. Ultimately, how can one explain the dual polarities of the third harmonic appearing on each half of a transfer function having a single sided non-linearity, this if only the third harmonic exists? Notwithstanding my delusions the third harmonic cannot exist alone.

An in-out function which is just linear and cubic will produce from a single input sine an output spectrum consisting of just fundamental and third harmonic. The level of the third harmonic will vary like input^3. The level of the fundamental will vary like input plus/minus an input^3 component, because the third-order distortion produces both 3rd and fundamental.

Yes, the third cannot exist alone. It can exist with just the fundamental, though. This is precisely what you get at the output of an ideal P-P stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.