• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High-End Tube preamp with ECC88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!:wave2:
I combined with the schematic "Line ubava stage" of Mr. harkonen (Croatia) and made ​​an excellent audiophile preamp with tube/valve ECC88 . This preamplifier in combination with F5-audio amplifier gives the true audiophile sound. Believe me the right one ...
Well here is the complete schematic is given for preamplifier with power supply!:up:
Who will make this amplifier will enjoy the trust of its real tube sound!! :hphones::hypno2:
Note:
For stereo needed two identical stages.
Cheers!:cheers:

Attachments

• High-End preamp with ECC88 (Schematic-1).pdf
    128.6 KB · Views: 4,738
Last edited:
I don't want to seem controversial but I find it difficult to believe that a simple anode follower direct coupled into a cathode follower, with two largish caps in the direct signal path - can be anything other than ordinary.

Shoog
I apologize in advance to anyone who does not fit the answer!?:(
This preamplifier has to be heard, will then be commented in his sound.:rolleyes:
thank you

But no one will build such an amplifier - because it looks so overwhelmingly ordinary.

There are a wealth of truly exceptional preamplifier designs displayed in this board on a daily basis - this circuit has no obvious magic or appeal to entice a builder to attempt it.

That is just an honest opinion.

Shoog

I don't need any magic in my amplifiers nor must they imply any extra specials or something. I just want low distortion, inherent clever design and it shouldn't be too complicated (then I would just use OpAmps, DSPs, etc.)

This circuit is nothing special and is just ordinary thats where answers above me are correct.
But it certainly doesn't also have low distortion. With just less than 4.9K load resistance this is a gigantic K2 generator. Now combine with some SET amp and some old fullrange speakers (with overemphasized midrange) and you get the warmest sounding system on earth. Yes, that's the "real tube sound" you are talking about.
Nothing wrong when you like the sound, really. But be aware that not everybody does and that this preamp is more like an effect machine.

I just hate to read statements like 'real tube sound' which tells me that the designer f*ck*d it all up. If you like that kind of sound be my guest.

I recommend you to read the preamp cookbook written by Allen Wright (RIP) where he wrote how to get most out of the E88CC in his preamp designs.

I just hate to read statements like 'real tube sound' which tells me that the designer f*ck*d it all up. If you like that kind of sound be my guest.
[...]/QUOTE]

Me too; what's a "real tube sound"? A load of 2nd harmonic distortion?

To me, for a simple concept I have to say that the power-supply is mind-numbingly complicated.

I am completing (i.e. modifying) what I claim to be a very low-distortion pre-amplifier. I don't think it has a "sound" The output is very clean and crystal clear; I am hoping to make it a little better before I write it up for this forum.

Paul

To me, for a simple concept I have to say that the power-supply is mind-numbingly complicated.
Not only needlessly complex, but it also has errors. The stated output voltage is 220 volts. The reference voltage (zener chain) is 204 volts. But the range of control on the feedback pot is from about 42% to 58% of the output., thus it could only regulate the output to a much higher voltage than stated.

My question, though, is why bypass the cathode then throw away the gain with a divider, why not instead leave the cathode unbypassed and then connect the next stage directly to the first stage's plate?

Anyway, I hope formula 22 won't be discouraged by the initial reception this thread has received, and will continue with this project.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.