• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

b+ Delay Arrangement for Power Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have individual filament transformers for my pair power output DHTs, and a separate power transformer for the high voltage. Rectification for HV is by means of SS diodes.

I am planning to have the powering up sequence in such a manner :-
Upon turning on the amp, the filament transformers will be powered up and light up the filaments of the output DHTs. 20 seconds later, the AC input to the primary of the HV transformer will be turned on by means of a delay relay and thus giving the HV. And since this is SS diode rectified, full high tension DC will immediately hit the anode of the DHTs and also channels to supply the driver section of the amp, without the slow start benefit of tube rectifiers.

Will there be any potential problems with this kind of arrangement? Eg. any noise or pops when the maximum HV dc hits the tubes?

I have individual filament transformers for my pair power output DHTs, and a separate power transformer for the high voltage. Rectification for HV is by means of SS diodes.

I am planning to have the powering up sequence in such a manner :-
Upon turning on the amp, the filament transformers will be powered up and light up the filaments of the output DHTs. 20 seconds later, the AC input to the primary of the HV transformer will be turned on by means of a delay relay and thus giving the HV. And since this is SS diode rectified, full high tension DC will immediately hit the anode of the DHTs and also channels to supply the driver section of the amp, without the slow start benefit of tube rectifiers.

Will there be any potential problems with this kind of arrangement? Eg. any noise or pops when the maximum HV dc hits the tubes?
I use a similar arrangement, but separate manual switches for the filament and for the HV. Actually the filament is permanently on, except being away from home for several days. When I turn on the HV, there is no any pops heard. Take into account that the mains transformer has some stray inductance, and together with the filter capacitor it makes a low-pass filter, so reaching the full HV takes some (however little) time. At least the capacitors do not charge with infinite speed. The HV switch should pass high surge current, and should withstand at least 2x the amount of HV. I switch the AC at the secondary of the transformer before the rectifier diodes, not the filtered HV after the capacitor.

i did not manage to solve the problem. the pop occurs at the speaker with the mono that is already turned on. i think it is because the b+ in rush on the 2nd mono caused some spike in the electrical outlet. both monos are connected to the same electrical circuit.

the circuit to my audio room is a dedicated ring that comes from my main circuit breaker.

i guess the only way to really solve this is to build a soft start circuit like the one at ESP, or implement some muting at the output transformer secondary (but i was told that output transformers should ideally not be unloaded for too long).

Here is DIY delay relay that can be more effective:

HomemadeSquib.gif

But if to speak seriously, all depends on which tubes you use, on which voltages, and how is bias organized.

i guess the only way to really solve this is to build a soft start circuit like the one at ESP, or implement some muting at the output transformer secondary (but i was told that output transformers should ideally not be unloaded for too long).
You should not mute by removing the load from an output transformer, since large current transients on the primary side while the secondary is unconnected can induce very high voltages across the primary which can result in arcing and insulation breakdown. Bye-bye transformer.

In my view, if you really need to disconnect the speaker, then you should first switch an alternative dummy load across the secondary and then remove the speaker from the circuit. It's more complex but safer. An alternative would be to simply place an additional temporary load across the speaker terminals with a relay contact which will absorb most of the unwanted noise (this could be less than one ohm, possibly almost a short circuit). If there is no real signal going through the amplifier at this time then that should be a pretty safe option.

20 seconds later, the AC input to the primary of the HV transformer will be turned on by means of a delay relay and thus giving the HV.

The delay relay needs to be a snap action, and not an Amperite bi-metal switch type. The latter has too much arcing in its final second at practical load currents, but could run a separate higher rated snap relay.

You may want to consider including a hysteresis to enforce the same startup routine in case of a short power interruption, if not already included.

All good fortune,
Chris

i did not manage to solve the problem. the pop occurs at the speaker with the mono that is already turned on. i think it is because the b+ in rush on the 2nd mono caused some spike in the electrical outlet. both monos are connected to the same electrical circuit.

the circuit to my audio room is a dedicated ring that comes from my main circuit breaker.

Does it still pop if the input to the amp is shorted, assuming there is a series cap before the first grid? You would need a relatively big disturbance on the mains supply to make a pop, but only a small one on ground or signal input. Whatever, it could be worth finding out where it's coming from, and how it's getting in. Muting will be logically tricky, surely? How will one amp know when the other has finished switching on? i.e where will the un-mute signal come from?

Maybe series resistors before the first PS caps would make a difference by slowing down the inrush. Worth an experiment if you have low value, high power resistors handy. If they work they will help preserve the caps too.

Perhaps you could switch both amps on with a single timing ciruit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.