• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Source of IXYS 10m45s and other CCS devices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Just wanted to create a thread to collect all the sources for IC devices designeed (or used) to provide a CCS

An in depth article by audioexpress on CCS designs is attached to this message.

CCS AudioXpress 2007

Unfortunately some IXYS parts are unavailable for retail consumers in Europe so this is my contribution

10pcs IXCP10M45S Switchable Current Regulators ORIGINAL | eBay

hopefully these are NOT fakes.

If anyone has links to these parts which are available in every country please post!

Don't worry... I was curious to find the info since I am in Italy for vacation. I knew that Mouser, Newark(Farnell) and Digikey have the 10M45S in Canada and the States. If their policy is the same around the world, they will ship to anyone. Just be careful with the shipping charges.
I am staying with relatives near Florence. I am planning to visit Florence, Pisa, Siena, Venice, Rome... and let's see how much time we have left afterwards.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Don't worry... I was curious to find the info since I am in Italy for vacation. I knew that Mouser, Newark(Farnell) and Digikey have the 10M45S in Canada and the States. If their policy is the same around the world, they will ship to anyone. Just be careful with the shipping charges.
I am staying with relatives near Florence. I am planning to visit Florence, Pisa, Siena, Venice, Rome... and let's see how much time we have left afterwards.

Availability of 10m45S is not a problem per se but Ixys products we look for are not usually shipped to Europe. The 10m45s and higher voltage sibling is one of them.

Shipping charges are a killer. As high as 18 eur-22 eur from some internet shops!

Happy to hear you are visiting "il bel paese" :) Just beware of the heat. In Florence we just reached astonishingly high temperatures and humidity levels. Luckily I live in Milan and the weather is bearable.

@dsavitsk

You are 100% correct. The document I linked to shows all the possibile solutions for CCS use. Some are limited to low voltages some are not. The supertex DN2540 is a widely used alternative to IXYS. I used both in the same circuit and both work very well. Obviously the resistor values to set the current draw are different, but all in all the two devices are very similar (at least from my point of view :eek: )

The document I attatched is really informative, all the main topologies are covered with good detail and are very well explained (at least for someone with limite knowledge like myself)

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Priority Mail "flat rate envelope" from the US to Europe increased to $16.95 a few months ago, and express mail is now $36. With the cost of packing materials and time engaged in filling out customs forms, the charges would seem reasonable.

Yep. $20 seems like a lot to ship a small part, but that's what the postal service charges... If you want slower service, I think first class mail is still available, but then you have to pay someone to stand in line at the post office.

I think a bigger issue with the IXYS parts is that they're marked as obsolete on IXYS' website. At least they were last I checked.

Of course, there are other options - including implementing discrete bipolar current sources. Or... circuits like the LT3092. That could be fitted with a cascode and make a killer current source. I soldered one up last night and need to go measure its performance.

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.