Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2012, 07:01 AM   #31
zoi is offline zoi
diyAudio Member

After a full rebuild on a metal chassis (pic attached), with the star grounding mostly as described above, here are the developments...

The hum is reduced but still there. HOWEVER, if I disconnect the heaters the hum instantly stops! This tells me all I need is a clean heater supply...

But now there is another problem.

After the rebuild, there is severe blocking distortion and the resistor bypassing the cathode bypass cap on the power stage (labeled 25uf on the schematic) is getting really hot! As the tubes warm up, a voltage appears across the cap (around 50vdc or so).

I have checked and double checked and everything is the same as it was. Did I damage a tube? Or a capacitor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1174.jpg (483.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 1st July 2012, 02:34 PM   #32
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoi View Post
After a full rebuild on a metal chassis (pic attached), with the star grounding mostly as described above, here are the developments...

The hum is reduced but still there. HOWEVER, if I disconnect the heaters the hum instantly stops! This tells me all I need is a clean heater supply...

But now there is another problem.

After the rebuild, there is severe blocking distortion and the resistor bypassing the cathode bypass cap on the power stage (labeled 25uf on the schematic) is getting really hot! As the tubes warm up, a voltage appears across the cap (around 50vdc or so).

I have checked and double checked and everything is the same as it was. Did I damage a tube? Or a capacitor?
The cap is dead, or unreliable at best. It should not conduct any current. For now, remove the cap. Measure the resistance of the cathode resistor. If that checks out, power up and measure the voltages at the plate, grid and cathode of the output tube. That will point to the problem.

Your noise may be due to a failing output tube - maybe not surprising if you check the maximum ratings for that tube.

Sheldon

Last edited by Sheldon; 1st July 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 1st July 2012, 03:41 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hope I can help first what is the tube compliment ? on the board . the 5902 is a sub minny with a max of 165 volts on the plate . I am at odds that the picture does not match the schematic . On the schematic replacing the r23 r24 100 ohms with say a 250 ohm center taped pot and take the tap to ground adjusting from side to side to get the quietest point . http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...141/5/5902.pdf Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!