please help identify jennen tube amp. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2012, 08:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default please help identify jennen tube amp.

hi everyone,

finally bought a tube amp, going to pick it up next wednesday. but i was curious if someone could tell me more about this amp.

the seller tolled me it's a "TYPE : stereo NS40"

i can see a couple of 12ax7's but that's about it.

looking at the inside photo it reminds me of a bocama la-224b, but i could be mistaken there...

tried searching for a schematic but could find any information about this amp...

so i really could uses some help finding it, before i can go and restore this beauty to it's former glory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (267.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (285.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (329.2 KB, 162 views)
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:15 PM   #2
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

It looks like four 6BQ5s, a 12AX7, Front right can is 12AX7, rectifier is highly likely to be a GZ34, and the getter looks about shot.

I would not power it up in that shape. It needs rework before applying power.
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This unit looks like pretty standard stuff from around the mid sixties. Looking at the pictures I can see two pairs of 6BQ5s in push pull full pentode mode with cathode bias. There is a 6BL8 pentode/triode which should be the phase splitter (concertina) and voltage amplifier (one each channel). A 12AX7, and probably two more under the shields, for phono and tape head preamplifier duties. Reminiscent of similar units from Scott, Heathkit, Lafayette and others.
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
... rectifier is highly likely to be a GZ34, and the getter looks about shot.
I agree on the 5AR4 but remember from an earlier thread, these older ones last a long time even with a receding getter.

Last edited by HollowState; 23rd June 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't know anything about the particular amp, but the tube line-up is more or less conventional.
Output pairs are EL84 (6BQ5), phase splitters are ECF80 (6BL8), and the rest look to be ECC83 (12AX7).
The choice of ECF80 is interesting, but I have built a nice sounding EL84 PP amp using those as phase splitters. Those tubes are cheap and plentiful as they were used in TVs and oscilloscopes commonly.
It looks to be a nice easy restore job if the iron is OK (before switch on, my first check would be continuity of the output transformer primaries, and safety of the mains earth connection).

Hope that helps some.

Gary
Old 24th June 2012, 11:50 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Its a Japanese amp that's been re-branded, outputs are probably quite good quality. Worth restoring IMHO.
Old 24th June 2012, 03:56 PM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, it looks Japanese to me too.. And quite well made.. It appears that it might have been designed to operate on 110 (117V) based on markings on the rear panel so double check before plugging in. (Do not plug in before servicing!) Hopefully since you are in Holland, and it's a Dutch brand it is actually a 220V model.

JJ and FT make electrolytic caps that should adapt easily to this design.. Note that there are a lot of paper caps in this thing that will be bad from long experience - all must be replaced.
Old 24th June 2012, 05:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone for this very usefull information

My uncle agreed to help me with this project (he is an electrician) but i will keep you posted on my progress and probbably will have some more questions for you later on
Old 18th January 2013, 08:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

sorry to resurrect this but, as you may have noticed some other projects came along first..

now i finally decided to strip this amp and cannibalize it for parts.

and have removed the OPT, and measured them... i assumed them to be about 8k into 8Ω, but my calculations say to me it is 4k into 8Ω.......

i applied 7.08v AC then secondary gives 0.453v

so
7 / 0.453 = 15,5
15,5 * 15,5 = 240,25
240,25 * 8 = 1922
1922 * 2 = 3844
=3.8k @ 8Ω

is this possible for a push pull el84 amp??

Hide this!Advertise here!