• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

please help identify jennen tube amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi everyone,

finally bought a tube amp, going to pick it up next wednesday. but i was curious if someone could tell me more about this amp.

the seller tolled me it's a "TYPE : stereo NS40"

i can see a couple of 12ax7's but that's about it.

looking at the inside photo it reminds me of a bocama la-224b, but i could be mistaken there...

tried searching for a schematic but could find any information about this amp...

so i really could uses some help finding it, before i can go and restore this beauty to it's former glory.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 224
This unit looks like pretty standard stuff from around the mid sixties. Looking at the pictures I can see two pairs of 6BQ5s in push pull full pentode mode with cathode bias. There is a 6BL8 pentode/triode which should be the phase splitter (concertina) and voltage amplifier (one each channel). A 12AX7, and probably two more under the shields, for phono and tape head preamplifier duties. Reminiscent of similar units from Scott, Heathkit, Lafayette and others.

I don't know anything about the particular amp, but the tube line-up is more or less conventional.
Output pairs are EL84 (6BQ5), phase splitters are ECF80 (6BL8), and the rest look to be ECC83 (12AX7).
The choice of ECF80 is interesting, but I have built a nice sounding EL84 PP amp using those as phase splitters. Those tubes are cheap and plentiful as they were used in TVs and oscilloscopes commonly.
It looks to be a nice easy restore job if the iron is OK (before switch on, my first check would be continuity of the output transformer primaries, and safety of the mains earth connection).

Hope that helps some.

Gary

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, it looks Japanese to me too.. And quite well made.. It appears that it might have been designed to operate on 110 (117V) based on markings on the rear panel so double check before plugging in. (Do not plug in before servicing!) Hopefully since you are in Holland, and it's a Dutch brand it is actually a 220V model.

JJ and FT make electrolytic caps that should adapt easily to this design.. Note that there are a lot of paper caps in this thing that will be bad from long experience - all must be replaced.

sorry to resurrect this but, as you may have noticed some other projects came along first..

now i finally decided to strip this amp and cannibalize it for parts.

and have removed the OPT, and measured them... i assumed them to be about 8k into 8Ω, but my calculations say to me it is 4k into 8Ω.......

i applied 7.08v AC then secondary gives 0.453v

so
7 / 0.453 = 15,5
15,5 * 15,5 = 240,25
240,25 * 8 = 1922
1922 * 2 = 3844
=3.8k @ 8Ω

is this possible for a push pull el84 amp??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.