diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Antique radio info (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/214840-antique-radio-info.html)

mickeymoose 20th June 2012 08:02 PM

Antique radio info

This site has a lot of info on old (memory lane) radios. Data, picture & schematics. Antique Radios, 120 000 Antique Radios on display mainly German and Dutch.
Mod: please move, if there is a better spot. E

Mr. Zenith 22nd June 2012 10:36 AM

One caveat: this is a pay site. It's up to each individual to decide whether $25.00 USD is a fair price to pay to access such data. Those who work on vintage television, hi-fi or European radio sets may find this a small price to pay for such an invaluable resource. Restorers of old US radio sets from the 20's through the 40's may be better served by going to sites such as Nostalgia Air. BAMA is an excellent free resource for vintage amateur radio and test gear.

That said, this site does contain an immense number of documents; it almost always comes up as a specific result whenever I do a Google search.

geraldfryjr 22nd June 2012 11:45 AM

Awesome, Thanks for the links !!!
Now I gotta go out to the garage and get the chassis number off of my Airline radio.

jer :)

Mr. Zenith 22nd June 2012 12:27 PM

How old do you suppose that old set is? Most of the Monkey-Ward sets from the 1930's are right good-looking, especially the table models.

Restoring antique radio sets is how I got into the DIY audio hobby. It taught me how to solder, identify problem components and read schematics. It was forums like this that taught me how to do all of this safely.

BTW: I forgot to give my thanks to the OP for mentioning this resource! :) It really does have a lot of schematics for quite a few of the more obscure RCA console stereos from the 50's and 60's.

geraldfryjr 22nd June 2012 12:34 PM

Mine is a 1938 model If I remember correctly.

I will run out right now and get the chassis number.

geraldfryjr 22nd June 2012 12:54 PM

It is a 83 WG-403B.

I got it in working order in 1977 and since then I have lost the prints.
The case has been damaged but I still have all of the pieces except 3 of the knobs I think.
It is all orginal but won't be after I repair it.

When I got it I used to listen to it all of the time but I needed the 5U4 rectifier for my guitar amp.
I was 14 at the time so I thought I would be smart and solder in some silicon rectifiers and botch it up and shorted out the transformer, I mean smoked it bad!

Before the case got damaged I had lots of opportunities to get a new transformer,But since I had lost the print I couldn't remember what the plate winding voltage was.
Now it has sat so long the film drum has almost all turned to dust.
So it is going to be a long and grueling restoration but I will get to it one day and it will be well worth the memories and the joy I had with it after saving it all of these years.
I did my best to keep it in superb condition, But the case damage was not caused by me, but it really sucks.

It is a stand up version and I will post some picture some time when I dig it out, As it was very quite beautiful.

I also have an old Central Electronics Ham transmitter something 100 their big one, and, I found the prints for that one on the BAMA site as well.
I have had that thing since 1995 that I picked up for $35 and it worked as well, But the output was weak.

P.S. Maybe it was a 1934 or earlier it is very hard for me to remember. :)

geraldfryjr 22nd June 2012 01:10 PM

Darn, The Chassis number is not listed but it appears that the 62-403 is basically the same.

oshifis 22nd June 2012 01:45 PM

This site might be also interesting. Check the extensive Links collection.

Old Hungarian Radios Homepage - Contents

Mr. Zenith 22nd June 2012 02:02 PM

Is it this one?

Depending on the manufacturer, the model number is usually more important than the chassis number when initially looking for a schematic in the Rider's manuals. The simple reason is that many manufacturers used the same chassis for multiple models. To make matters even more confusing, many of the models sold by the big catalog stores (Sears & Roebuck, Montgomery-Ward, etc) were actually made by some of the smaller radio companies who themselves sold their own product lines. Sparks-Noblitt and Stewart-Warner are two such makes that spring to mind.

Once the appropriate Riders schematic is found, there is usually a chassis number (or number(s) shown as a secondary identifier to help eliminate confusion.

Restoration of the movie dial celluloid is possible, but it's sort of a specialty procedure. Restoration of the electronics is more straightforward, even given the damage from your more youthful antics. It's definitely a set worth keeping! Once the schematic is found, you can suss out the voltages and buy a suitable power transformer. Just beware that the speaker magnet is actually the choke coil for the power supply...

mickeymoose 22nd June 2012 02:05 PM

Thanks for the link! I remember Orion from my teenage years, I did not realize these are Hungarian. And I thought all the Hungarians ever invented was the sparkplug and variable-pitch propeller (and fabulous food). Go figure! E