Vintage GE Tube Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2012, 06:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vintage GE Tube Amp

I just picked up this GE amp and I have a few questions. Can anyone identify this model? I had no luck finding anything else that looks like it. The seller told me that it is a 5 - 10 watt amp, not sure if he meant wpc or total. What kind of speakers would be a good match for this? I plan on using a turntable with it. Would I need to use a pre-amp or would I be fine running a turntable directly into it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.JPG (110.6 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg pic2.JPG (142.8 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg pic3.JPG (131.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg pic4.JPG (89.3 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by wintermute; 3rd July 2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: content restored.
Old 20th June 2012, 08:20 PM   #2
12E1 is offline 12E1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have no info on the amp, but to answer your other question... Looking at the number of valves in use, most likely the phono input is treated very similarly to the others in terms of levels (maybe some equalisation changes) and so the phono input would be designed to take a signal from a ceramic cartridge rather than a moving magnet cartridge as would be the case with a modern phono input for a turntable. If you wish to use a moving magent (or moving coil) cartridge then an external phono pre-amp with RIAA equalisation would be needed.
Old 21st June 2012, 01:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Looks like a stereo SE model. I strongly suspect the tube complement is a 12AX7, 2X 6BQ5, and a 5Y3. O/P will be approx. 5 WPC. 12E1 is correct about no RIAA preamp section being present.

The orange cardboard electrolytic capacitor should be replaced, along with any other 'lytics that can be found.

It's not "ancient". Notice the printed circuit boards.

The painted wood instead of metal suggests a low end model. I wonder what attached to the hinges.
Old 21st June 2012, 02:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The chassis with its oval speaker cutout, unlabeled controls and exposed parts is certainly from somewhere else, maybe the lid of a "record player" or something like that. And those fancy output connectors! It was somebody's love child, so give it a loving home. (And for safety's sake, cover it up some!)

All good fortune,
Chris
Old 21st June 2012, 02:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Agreed, chassis is a craft-brew... circuit is common to a number of GE radio and console amps, SE 7189 or 6AQ5, I'd give a link to a schematic but the techpreservation site is down...
Old 21st June 2012, 09:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I'm still kind of confused about what kind of speakers would work well with this amp. Would any 8 ohm speakers be fine? I would want high efficiency speakers right? Any suggestions?
Old 21st June 2012, 09:20 PM   #7
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

what happened to that nice photo ?

now there are only links to a host site where you cant see anything but stupid commercials
Old 21st June 2012, 10:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Would speakers rated at 89 db per watt efficiency work well with this amp?
Old 24th June 2012, 07:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Anyone?

Hide this!Advertise here!