• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vintage GE Tube Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just picked up this GE amp and I have a few questions. Can anyone identify this model? I had no luck finding anything else that looks like it. The seller told me that it is a 5 - 10 watt amp, not sure if he meant wpc or total. What kind of speakers would be a good match for this? I plan on using a turntable with it. Would I need to use a pre-amp or would I be fine running a turntable directly into it?

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 211
  • pic2.JPG
    pic2.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 201
  • pic3.JPG
    pic3.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 185
  • pic4.JPG
    pic4.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited by a moderator:
I have no info on the amp, but to answer your other question... Looking at the number of valves in use, most likely the phono input is treated very similarly to the others in terms of levels (maybe some equalisation changes) and so the phono input would be designed to take a signal from a ceramic cartridge rather than a moving magnet cartridge as would be the case with a modern phono input for a turntable. If you wish to use a moving magent (or moving coil) cartridge then an external phono pre-amp with RIAA equalisation would be needed.

Looks like a stereo SE model. I strongly suspect the tube complement is a 12AX7, 2X 6BQ5, and a 5Y3. O/P will be approx. 5 WPC. 12E1 is correct about no RIAA preamp section being present.

The orange cardboard electrolytic capacitor should be replaced, along with any other 'lytics that can be found.

It's not "ancient". Notice the printed circuit boards.

The painted wood instead of metal suggests a low end model. I wonder what attached to the hinges.

The chassis with its oval speaker cutout, unlabeled controls and exposed parts is certainly from somewhere else, maybe the lid of a "record player" or something like that. And those fancy output connectors! It was somebody's love child, so give it a loving home. (And for safety's sake, cover it up some!)

All good fortune,
Chris

The speaker connector are for bare wire, you had to press and insert the wire in the hole in the post.
For 5 to 10W the output tube will be happy with a 100dB sensitivity, as Klipsch RF83, RF63(99dB) or CF-4(102dB) all these 3 amigos speakers are out of the line tought.

A better option is a sole fullrange driver, also with hi sensitivity and direct(no crossover) as any crossover consume energy/power.
Good Luck

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You might get about 96db at 5 watts.

Jer :)

Jer has a point, and I suspect that it will not be a very clean sounding 96dB either..

A much more efficient speaker is warranted, and something in the higher 90s at least. Something around 100dB as pointed out would be near ideal, but speaker systems offering this sort of efficiency are going to be large. (I have a pair of Onkens which are over 100dB and have combined cabinet and vent volumes of ~11 cu ft each.) Something like the original Klipsch Heresy might be a decent match - then expect to have to upgrade the output transformers.

Might be quite decent for background level music with the current speakers depending on how benign a load they reflect to the amplifier.. Try it and see.

Yea I'm not gonna need super high volumes as this system will be used in a relatively small dorm room. I also got some Mission 717s for free which i think are supposed to be around 91 db sensitivity so I'll try those too. Anyone have experience with these? Also planning on getting either the Musical Fidelity V-LPS or the Cambridge 540p for a preamp. Any suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.