Question for EU diyaudio members - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2012, 09:14 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I'm pleased that mental arithmetic has made a comeback. Less pleased that it is in its own module, but that seems to be the way of modern exams. Hopefully in the UK we will soon be able to improve our exams back to something like their old standards, but I'm not holding my breath. To say any more would stray too far into politics and get the mods nervous so I won't.
Not far off.....it's those informative graphs, graphs everyone is forgetting..so absolutely essential for audio and electronic engineering....(the money markets where many electronic engineers have swapped into are making better use of graphs than those left on the audio forums); The sliderules are nostalgic but their use is an instant adaptive mental indication of how to manipulate and use numbers. Mistakes happened of course but the 1960's moon trips were an example of success.

I'm close to completing a Williamson design diagnosis using graphs as a problem solver to a practical approach of sorting some of it's common bugs.

richy
Old 28th June 2012, 05:30 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for your feedback!

Apologies to all for my late reply, I was out of the country for a while.. I ll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

Everything in construction will be in metric, and I am considering either pre-drilling the box or providing a template for drilling. Opinions?

Parts will be of standard :good: quality, (you cannoot easily avoid chinese-made resistors though).

Documentation will be in English only for now, only reason being that is the only language I can master. I believe that the target audience is OK with that.

I am thinking that the pre should offer a gain a little gain too, in the order of 2x to 3x.

Thanks again. Please post your opinions.
Old 28th June 2012, 09:27 AM   #53
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Pre-drilled holes are good in a kit, provided they are the right size and in the right place. This may mean you have to do proper version tracking, so if you change your switch/socket/valve base supplier (or he changes his design a little) you have to change some holes to match.
Old 29th June 2012, 07:04 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveKit View Post
Thank you all for your feedback!

Apologies to all for my late reply, I was out of the country for a while.. I ll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

Everything in construction will be in metric, and I am considering either pre-drilling the box or providing a template for drilling. Opinions?

Thanks again. Please post your opinions.

I think that a pre-drilled box would attract more buyers, and give you higher sales. Many DIYers here are solder slingers, but not metal workers.
Old 29th June 2012, 08:20 AM   #55
12E1 is offline 12E1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bequerel View Post
I think that a pre-drilled box would attract more buyers, and give you higher sales. Many DIYers here are solder slingers, but not metal workers.
Seconded. Many who would build a kit (rather than DIY) would probably not have the range of drills and hole cutters / punches that might be needed.
Old 13th November 2012, 01:09 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Yes, it will be much more logical to offer a pre-drilled and painted chassis.
I was entertaining the idea of offering a volume control, but then we move from "buffer" to "line preamp" and it' ll need input selectors. I decided to leave that for a later product.

After all, gain will be adjustable changing one resistor.
Old 13th November 2012, 03:36 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7N7 View Post
The problem it seems is universal.

I have just received, after a month's wait a consignment of 8 Russian valves which were sold under the following description: 6N1P = 6AQ5 = EL90.

This is not true. I have in front of me 8 valves 6N1P, with nine-pin bases, utterly useless.

If they can't count what hope is there for mental arithmetic?

Paul
The 6N1P is a completely different beast IIRC.
Even the 6P1P is electrically slightly different from a 6AQ5 or EL90.
And yes, that one has the larger 9pin base.
On the Bay some quite different tubes are regularly called equivalent with each other to attract more buyers...
The ignorance might not be "accidental".
Cheers,
Martin
PS: Sorry for the off-topic reply
Old 6th December 2012, 10:29 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

The circuit has been finalised, some of the specs are as follows

-1 double triode per channel
- Very low distortion
- Low output impedance, can drive down to 8KOhms load
- Regulated heater supply, will work from 220 to 240 V without any changes.
- Ability to swap different new/nos valves to taste
- Ability to swap output capacitors to taste
-Adjustable gain, as I mentioned earlier. Will be supplied with resistors for 1.4 dbV gain.
- High quality double-sided PCB with solder mask and silkscreen.
Plus other niceties I mentioned above, Stainless steel box, doubly shielded toroid power transformer, WIMA capacitors for signal, 105C electrolytics for the power supplies, tantalum capacitor for heater regulator. And an amber LED to compliment the heater glow.

I think that it should be available as PCB + parts + transformer and the (pre-drilled) box should be optional.

Awaiting for your feedback!
Old 6th December 2012, 11:02 AM   #59
ElEsido is offline ElEsido  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Sounds interesting.

Another request to make this an outstanding "European" amp: Please think of the design of the chassis. Please don't give us another steel-plate-in-a-wooden-frame or steel-chassis-with-wooden-sides design. Make it look good - think of Italian or Scandinavian design, or take a Bauhaus approach, or look ad Dieter Rams' designs. What I'd love to see is a kit amp that esthetically fits into such an environment: usm haller "living room" - Google-Suche
Old 6th December 2012, 11:36 AM   #60
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Don't underlight the valves with LEDs, as it will then look like cheap Chinese rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElEsido
What I'd love to see is a kit amp that esthetically fits into such an environment: usm haller "living room" - Google-Suche
Ugh! Horrible! Who wants their home to look like an office?

Hide this!Advertise here!