• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Clarifications on role of pre VS power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am relativly new to this passion and would like to clarify some of my key questions:

1. Power cord: Should I use my best power cord for my dac (because it is the one creating the sound) or for my power amp (because he needs more power)?

2. In an HTPC setup: PC -> DAC -> Preamp -> Power amp, why do you still need a Preamp? Volume control and the likes can be done on the computer. Is the only role of the preamp is to connect multiple source or does it actually do something on the sound? and if so, what? (This is not for Tube pre: I clearly understand that a tube pre makes huge difference)

3. I have owned an integrated tube amplifier (Yaqin MC-10L) and sold it (because I got a good offer). I clearly understand the difference in using tubes for preamp, but I am not too sure about using tube for Power amp. I am now facing 2 options:
a. Buy a tube preamp (like Yaqin MS-12B) and connect to my power amp (2 * Marantz ma-500, mono block 120W, class A).
b. Buy a new integrated tube amp (probably Yaqin MC-100B)
Could someone highlight the key difference in using tube for the power stage as well?

Thanks,

Serge

Some would disagree with me on these - others may agree. Some would say these points are more a matter or religion or belief than engineering. I would argue that for most people, the answers to your questions often just come down to personal choice.

Hi,

I am relativly new to this passion and would like to clarify some of my key questions:

1. Power cord: Should I use my best power cord for my dac (because it is the one creating the sound) or for my power amp (because he needs more power)?
I would say that if each unit has a well designed power supply and adheres to good earthing and screening practices (itself an area for some to debate) then the power cord should make no real difference. If you have a very noisy mains supply then everything might need a bit more filtering since noise can get into a system at any point, whether DAC, pre-amp, power-amp, inputs, or even speaker leads.

Hi,
2. In an HTPC setup: PC -> DAC -> Preamp -> Power amp, why do you still need a Preamp? Volume control and the likes can be done on the computer. Is the only role of the preamp is to connect multiple source or does it actually do something on the sound? and if so, what? (This is not for Tube pre: I clearly understand that a tube pre makes huge difference)
You do not have to have a separate pre-amplifier. Some would choose to for source selection, level controls, and maybe for some other reasons. I prefer to take a minimalist approach. I have one input on my amplifier which goes to a volume control. After that, straight to the amplifier circuits. I would always recommend a least a volume control. Yes, you can control volume solely via the source (HTPC), but if something unexpected happens (phone rings, or software crashes), a simple rotary control can be turned down or adjusted very much faster than a volume control that my be obscured by some application that you are running on the PC.

Hi,
3. I have owned an integrated tube amplifier (Yaqin MC-10L) and sold it (because I got a good offer). I clearly understand the difference in using tubes for preamp, but I am not too sure about using tube for Power amp. I am now facing 2 options:
a. Buy a tube preamp (like Yaqin MS-12B) and connect to my power amp (2 * Marantz ma-500, mono block 120W, class A).
b. Buy a new integrated tube amp (probably Yaqin MC-100B)
Could someone highlight the key difference in using tube for the power stage as well?
I mean no disrepect, but it sounds like you already have some "religion or belief" here. I would argue that you should use transistors or tubes according to your own choice whether for pre-amp or power-amp, or anywhere else (power supply rectification, etc). Some choose one over the other for the perceived differences in sound, some may do so just because they like the way it looks, and some just because they want to. Depending on the design specifics the audible differences can be as small or as huge as you like. Taking a different view, if using the unit in a very small room with minimal shelf space, tubes obviously add more heat and require a bit more ventilation (for their own cooling and to avoid heating things around them). I would argue that if you are the person using the equipment then it should be your choice, no-one else's.

Sorry, what is an FX box?
I am surprised by your comment. I though the preamp stage is where the tube makes the most difference, rather than the power stage.

Can you clarify?
Thanks

FX box = effects box

I believe what DF96 is saying is that a well designed pre-whether tube or SS, should not "sound" like anything; it should be sonically transparent (or close to it). If you are using a tubed pre to add some 2nd harmonic, "tubieness" etc, you are using it as an effects box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.