• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

GSG problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!
First time posting, I just built a GSG 6b4g.
first try, the rectifier tube turned bright orange with purple haze....
tried 3 tubes, same results.
So I checked the volages for the 6ax5gt
Pins 2 and 7 4.3v
Pins 3 and 5 344v
Pin 8 is not connected to anything, though the voltage check up list wants it at 333v, I got wild swings and had to cut power as the tube was loudly complaining ( on the kitchen table not hooked to anyting)
What could be wrong?
Richard

Best to start tracing the wiring with a very open mind. I built a phono pre once that was red plating only one of the tubes. I traced that amp for a week and could not find the problem.....because.....I assumed I did everything right. A friend came over and took a minute to see that I had the B+ hooked up to one of the heaters on the tube.

Pin 8 (cathode) should normally be connected to the first PSU cap, +ve side. Have you grounded pin 8 instead, or got the cap the wrong way round? The orange anode and lowish heater voltage suggests an overload. If you left it like that it would be a race between the 6AX5 and the transformer to see which one blinks first and lets out the blue smoke.

Best to start tracing the wiring with a very open mind. I built a phono pre once that was red plating only one of the tubes. I traced that amp for a week and could not find the problem.....because.....I assumed I did everything right. A friend came over and took a minute to see that I had the B+ hooked up to one of the heaters on the tube.

I know what you mean: I recall an E88CC that survived with 300V on one of its grids... Today a screwdriver slipped and the red LED on a cascode CCS went out. I removed the board, replaced everything and it refused to behave - sinking too much current. Finally I gave up. ignored the calculations and removed a 150-ohm resistor and replaced it with a 220 ohm one. Perfect. Funny, the other board which is absolutely identical still has its 150-ohm resistor and works perfectly and to spec.
Sometimes you have to give up!

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.