• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Why the GZ34 Rectifiers are so expensive!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anybody know why these seemingly ordinary tubes are going for ridiculous prices? for example look at this eBay auction for two nos GZ34. Only $1900ish. Why I'll take a box for that price!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Philips-Miniwatt-GZ34-5AR4-Rectifier-Tubes-Metal-Base-D-Getter-NOS-NIB-O-P-/300722546499?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item460475e743

Because there are many stupid people out there, that's why :D:p:D

Especially when you're a tube seller.:D If they caused a difference in "resolution" and "treble," then the amp is bizarrely incompetent in design and/or construction. And I've never experienced an amp THAT badly designed.

+2 Absolute nonsense - like that silly thread recently offering six E88CC at $950 - this though is even worse.

I do not believe in the "sound" of rectifiers; how can they have a "sound" when there is masses of filtering around them?:confused:

Paul

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've got a fair number of vintage English GZ34 in service, and the one thing I will say about them is that they are reliable in way that no current production GZ34/5AR4 is. No failures at all in 15yrs.

Better regulation under varying loads and less forward drop than current production JJ, Sovtek or Shuguang 5AR4..

I hear no difference in performance attributable to brand or vintage of these tubes. (Reasonably well designed regulated supplies)

And I definitely couldn't afford to buy them today... FWIW.. :D

I've got a fair number of vintage English GZ34 in service, and the one thing I will say about them is that they are reliable in way that no current production GZ34/5AR4 is. No failures at all in 15yrs.

I'll second that. The only difference i have noticed is in reliability, and price of course. I see a trend in people who have no knowledge whatsoever regarding tube electronics driving prices through the roof based on silly claims they have heard from so-called "experts". (read- tube sellers looking for more money)

Does anybody know why these seemingly ordinary tubes are going for ridiculous prices? for example look at this eBay auction for two nos GZ34. Only $1900ish.
Do you know why these seemingly ordinary audio cables are going for ridiculous prices? For example look at this company's claim. high-end cable :Pinoc:
Bottom line is, it's not just limited to audio cable vendors.

All the JJ GZ34 I've used, they seem to last 4 years max. Music for a few hours every other day. Vintages are just too pricy nowadays. And I too don't believe in "sound of rectifiers". I smile when I see the designed and constant 430VDC B+ when I stick that voltmeter red color probe there.

Last edited:
Overpriced rubbish my electronics supplier had a one time offer on 500
1N4007 at 1 cents each :D

@ those audio cables .

I had a supplier selling RCA plugs two females for 70 cents/Set gold plated ofcourse

i laughed Real hard every time i saw A 500 dollar interlink use those connectors :crazy:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.