• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

First Tube Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, I've decided that i want to build a tube amp as a summer project and I need some help with something. For back ground I'm going into 4th year as a ME/EE double major so I have a lot of experience with circuits.

I've decided that I'm going to build this amp (6SL7 SRPP / KT77 Push-Pull Class-A Ultra-Linear DIY Tube Amplifier) and i have a question about the power supply. For the AC line filter that is mentioned in the schematic, is something that I need to custom order or should I build it myself? google hasn't helped much and I'm a little confused about how I go about wiring the resistors, inductors and capacitors that are in-between the AC and points A and B shown in the schematic. Any parts recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help

No - you don't have to build it yourself.
You can buy an IEC power Inlet socket with a filter built in.
Look at Mouser Cat Number 693-5120.2006.0 which is a 10 Amp rated unit which will be ample. They list about 30 different ones (page 1111 of the catalog if you have one) but the unit I suggest above will do nicely.
You can also buy just a mains filter module which can be wired between a standard mains input socket and the power tranny. Mouse have them too.
Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.