• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ampex 6793 stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Beefy looking iron

attachment.php

from the tubes poking up, i'd guess PP EL84.

dave

Attachments

• 131223_1261723964mMpM.jpg
    131223_1261723964mMpM.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 836
Using the russian 6p14p-ev the high voltage one not just 6p14p is a drop in replacement . I do not stand for what they sound like in this amp just that they will not burn up at 385 like the el-84 and its family will. Other than that the 7189 will take the voltage . Second chose is to drop the plate voltage down to about 290 and run any of them . look like very good iron .
think about putting it on a larger chassis that would give room for choke or other voltage control devices.

Last edited:
Found some chassis on ebay by
lkschmit
s.gif
in the pro audio guitar section 17 by 8 by 2 for 17 dollars 10 shipping for 1 to 4 12gauge that I approve very much of . That or the 19 by 8 by 2 would give you room for some asc caps and a choke to drop the power supply down to a good voltage level and clean also . Even think about damper diodes for the power supply .

7199 substitutions

hi

on tubedepot I found a circuit for substitution of 6U8 for 7199, with the claim of "as good as or better"....any thoughts?

also thnaks for the PS upgrade thoughts, and circuits/pointers would be appreciated.

I am also planning to sell the unit once refitted, so any thoughts as to the degree of mods to undertake in light of potential value would also be appreciated

I must thank you all for your inouts and comments, I will post pics of the original in the next day or so

Regards

Peter

before pictures

Hi

here are the before pictures, I have decided to stay with the original tube configuration 7199/6973 initially, though I am investigating cleaning up the power supply.

I will provide updates and further pictures as works progress, and and all input and thoughts welcome...:)

Regards

Peter

Attachments

• Ampex 6973 before top.jpg
    Ampex 6973 before top.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Ampex 6973 before internal.jpg
    Ampex 6973 before internal.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Ampex 6973 before front.jpg
    Ampex 6973 before front.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 118
6u8 vs 7199

hi

on tubedepot I found a circuit for substitution of 6U8 for 7199, with the claim of "as good as or better"....any thoughts?

also thnaks for the PS upgrade thoughts, and circuits/pointers would be appreciated.

I am also planning to sell the unit once refitted, so any thoughts as to the degree of mods to undertake in light of potential value would also be appreciated

I must thank you all for your inouts and comments, I will post pics of the original in the next day or so

Regards

Peter
H H Scott used the 6bl8/ecf80 . 6gh8 also 6u8 in my listening is better than 7199 and easier to find different make so you can tube role some . go to dunkanamps web site and down load the tdls it will give you a number pin compatible tube to play with.

update

Hi

So I have replaced all the components in the 6793 and found some original NOS 7199 (GE)....so far so good.

However, the B+ is now over 400v (starts at 430 and then drops to about 404/408) on a 110v supply and I am keen to drop this to the 385v specified before debugging the unit.

I did purchase a 2.5h choke as suggested, but this is physically too big and I am thinking more along the line of adding a regulator chip to the PS to clean it up and make it more stable. Also considering the MOSFET/Diode approach, but your collective wisdom would be much appreciated...:)

The alternative is to move the whole thing to a new chassis, however after hours of soldering, I am keen to not do that as yet!

thanks in advance

Peter

Pics

Hi

thanks for the heads up, attached are a couple of "work in progress" pictures, though I am debating changing all the tube sockets (as opposed to the 2 6793 I already have) and would like to "clean up" the power supply.

also where did you suggest for the 1k, between UL Tap (yes) and OPT (?)

and I am currently chasing a wild feedback/oscillation on one channel...

thanks

Peter

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 57
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.