Hi fi kits - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2012, 09:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hi fi kits

Hi all,

I am thinking about building a Tube HiFi kit, Im a relative newbie to electronics been tinkering for about a year now. Has anyone got any ideas? I have interest in KT88's and 300B tubes but thats not a requirement if there is something really excellent out there.

I am keen to hear your suggestions!

Cheers
Old 12th June 2012, 09:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's something to start you off:

Simple SE

jeff
Old 12th June 2012, 09:58 PM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, start with something simple and not too expensive. Get that to work, and learn from your mistakes. Then try something a bit more ambitious. Don't strive for excellence too early as it is likely to lead to disappointment.

A year is not a long time in electronics! After about 8 years I thought I understood electronics. After 20 years I realised I still had a lot to learn.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:21 PM   #4
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Get this:
A great tube valve amp.very smooth and warms sounds,beautifull appearance | eBay

it cheap and modify it if you like I bought one and I replace EL34 with KT88 without any mod. I don't think you can buy all the parts for the price they charge. The chrome chassis alone is worth more than AUD$100.

More importantly they sound great as it is and you can mod them if you like, I will mod them at later stage in the mean I am enjoying the sound. You can see the internals(well made) of this amp from my photo website, scroll down to the bottom. BTW I got mine from the wholesaler for AUD$200 plus postage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54808408@N04/?saved=1

Hope this helps.
Old 13th June 2012, 03:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

+1 for the Tubelab SSE! Great starting point.
Vinlykid58 - tubelab (George) has asked members here to refer to that amp as "SSE" , I believe he was threatened with legal action. Somebody else owns the name you used.
Best regards, Pete.
Old 13th June 2012, 04:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discochicken View Post
+1 for the Tubelab SSE! Great starting point.
Vinlykid58 - tubelab (George) has asked members here to refer to that amp as "SSE" , I believe he was threatened with legal action.
I didn't name the link, that's what his page default shows up as. Click on the link and see for yourself.

Simple SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discochicken View Post
Somebody else owns the name you used.
Someone decided to use the name he created. Someone with deeper pockets. I call it the "Monster" syndrome.

jeff
Old 13th June 2012, 07:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

My apologies Jeff, you're correct. This is what I had read but got my facts wrong! Sorry.
Quote:
The last email that I got before the site went down was from a company called NuVo Technologies. It seems that they own the trademark "Simplese" which is used on a solid state multi room audio system. They claim that my use of the term SimpleSE as applied to anything audio "violates their trademark". They further state that I must immediately "discontinue the use of the brand name treatment "SimpleSE", or they "would have no choice but to pursue further legal action to rigorously defend that which WE have invested over 4 years of time and resources to
protect." There are no more SimpleSE's, but there are plenty of Simple SE's. Since these people found my "violation" by using a Google search, please refer to this amplifier by the name Simple SE in all future posts.
End quote
I'm sure I read somewhere else he asked for people to call it "SSE". Oh well, my mistake.
Best regards, Pete.
Old 13th June 2012, 08:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread. I just found this on the tubelab site.
Quote:
SSE update

Due to legal issues the amp formerly known by the name "Simple" and the common abbreviation for the term "Single Ended" is now called the SSE. I can no longer use the word combination together in print. I ask that you refrain from using them together to describe this project as well. Some search engines detect this word combination as a trademarked name for another company's audio / home theater product. Searching for their product produced more pictures of proudly built SSE's than references to their product. They were justifiably unhappy about this.*
Unquote
I'll send a pm to George later on and ask him to clarify.
Best regards, Pete
Old 13th June 2012, 09:07 AM   #9
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Only a moron or a lawyer (or a search engine) could confuse a solid state multi room audio system aimed at the general public with a straightforward valve amp aimed at DIYers, or a pair of words including a well-established abbreviation with a single made up word. However, our world is run by lawyers and morons (and search engines) so I guess we have to accept this foolishness.

Could we call it "The amp formerly known as S*m*l* SE"?
Old 13th June 2012, 02:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hide this!Advertise here!