• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Source for transformer parts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll ask this here in the tubes section because that is what I intend to use this with..

Anyone know where I can buy transformer parts such as E/I cores, insulation paper and end bells. I'd like to learn how to design audio transformers. I don't expect to save money and yes, I know it is not easy. This is for my own education and amusement. The wire is easy to find. I've been reading about output transformer design for some time and want to try some ideas.

I know I can salvage old transformers but I'm looking for a source that sells a wide selection of new parts.

That said I've found a company called "Alpha Core" can make "C-Cores" that might be used for audio (maybe)

That said I've found a company called "Alpha Core" can make "C-Cores" that might be used for audio (maybe)

Stick with c-cores; the alpha cores are audio grade.
C-cores are much more practical to work with than EI laminates (especially when applying air gaps), and generally superior to EI cores for audio transformers.
McIntosh was aware of this long time ago (and so do the better quality transformer manufacturers nowadays).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.