Wharfedale W12 output transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2012, 04:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wharfedale W12 output transformers

Hi all.

A call for help and advice about the W12 output transformers. Opinions about their quality is what I'm really after and whether they'd be worth throwing 50 at for a used pair to start off my first venture into building a low(ish) powered valve power stage for my home stereo?

Paul.
Old 12th June 2012, 08:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Forget I asked.

I've decided to give them a miss. Found a set of PP transformers with more information and specs (and a higher price tag), but they're brand new and higher wattage.

P.
Old 12th June 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
disco is offline disco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondreams View Post
Forget I asked.

I've decided to give them a miss. Found a set of PP transformers with more information and specs (and a higher price tag), but they're brand new and higher wattage.

P.
Never seen Wharfedale iron. Like to though Old does not necessary mean bad or outdated. My favourite iron is from the 1950's erea (if the price is right, that is).

Single ended transformers have an extra handicap to them when developing outputs. The iron has to withstand the DC and must not get saturated. Push pull outputs have no such need (when both halves are in balance) and can be had for less money, usually.
Old 12th June 2012, 07:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, disco.

The W12s are push-pull and rated at around 10 watts each. The thing that held me back is that I simply can't find any information about them. It was the frequency response figures that I was particularly hoping to find.

And I get what you mean about single-ended vs push-pull. I've started building more PP guitar amps because I can get the transformers for less than half the price of the same power single-ended iron.

Hide this!Advertise here!