Are we committing suicide?! (Asbestos in vaccum tube base) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Banned

Default Are we committing suicide?! (Asbestos in vaccum tube base)

as you might know, Asbestos is so dangerous and will cause lung cancer in case of breathing it's crystals! Asbestos was widley used in anti-temperature materials... Tube bases are refractory and are resistance against heat, keeping in mind that Asbestos once upon a times were widly in use among industrial applications, I thought Tube bases might have Asbestos in them!!!

any idea?
Old 11th June 2012, 11:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Old ones perhaps. Not the new ceramic and Teflon or whatisit ones. Asbestos is banned. There used to be asbestos in brake pads for motor cars, it hasn't been in there for the past ten years that I know of.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphy View Post
Old ones perhaps. Not the new ceramic and Teflon or whatisit ones. Asbestos is banned. There used to be asbestos in brake pads for motor cars, it hasn't been in there for the past ten years that I know of.
but all NOS tubes are made long years ago...
Old 11th June 2012, 11:44 AM   #4
nazaroo is offline nazaroo  Canada
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIYAHOOR View Post
Do you have a list of tube numbers and brands that you believe contained asbestos?

Most bases I've seen are either ceramic (no mix of asbestos needed, and its cheap (clay-china),
or else a kind of brown bakelite plastic (made from soy-beans? as were all the early plastics).

I've never seen asbestos, except perhaps in heat-shielding on high-power transmitter/radar?

Have you got any links that could confirm the use of asbestos?

I wonder about the danger.
We used asbestos screens and plates over Bunsen burners all through high-school,
and I don't think anyone got cancer from that exposure.
Climbing around air-ducts might be another matter...

Asbestos was used typically in sheets wrapped around heating pipe
in the older buildings I've seen and played in.

Certain 'screw-in' sockets may have had an asbestos layer in them,
because this might have been used for its insulating properties:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by nazaroo; 11th June 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIYAHOOR View Post
You've got a point there.

I don't know if they used early plastics e.g. Bakelite for these things but if they did, asbestos wouldn't have been necessary.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

You might find asbestos in the inside of the screw base of old RF valves. BUT, who disassembles broken valves ?

I've never seen asbestos in valve bases, it was too soft to be structually sound.

If in doubt replace valve base with gold plated contact ceramic replacement.
Old 11th June 2012, 12:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quit whining !
The usual tubes where we come along are made out of glass and metal. Where should there be Asbestos ?
On my window sill stands a Telefunken RS291, the German 211/845 used in Nazi warships for short wave radio. This is an exception to what I said above. It's got a special shet metal socket case which is tightened to the glass with a string of asbestos.
Just made a picture, look the attachment.
But as long as you don't touch, pull out etc. the stuff won't do anything. Asbestos is bad when you scratch it, drill it, mill it, grind it etc. Leave it alone and you're fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS291.jpg (76.1 KB, 440 views)
Old 11th June 2012, 01:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi I think when more people would have thought like Ariyahoor in the past asbestos wouldn't have been used so much....

It is exactly the "stop whining": mentality that have helped the asbestos problem we now have in the world. Not in our western world but for instance in India where old western ships are being dismantled by children. Ships full of asbestos....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4570246.stm

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/In...en_up_999.html

So while the use of hazardous materials might not be a risk to the current (trained) users it might be a great risk when the product is out of use and will be recycled. So society should think twice and ban the use of certain materials.

Last edited by jean-paul; 11th June 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11th June 2012, 01:23 PM   #9
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I doubt if valve bases include asbestos. Even if they do, the fibres will be locked into the bakelite so relatively safe.

According to Wikipedia, the place you are most likely to find asbestos in combination with bakelite is a Soviet missile nose cone - which may have other dangers!
Old 11th June 2012, 01:49 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
It is exactly the "stop whining": mentality that have helped the asbestos problem we now have in the world. Not in our western world but for instance in India where old western ships are being dismantled by children. Ships full of asbestos....
No. It's lack of education and greed. Or do you really think that asbestos is the problem when poor uneducated children have to dismantle western ships ??!!

Goi‚nia accident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - You think caesium137 is the bad guy here ?

Bhopal disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - You think it's methyl isocyanate's fault ? DOW-Chemical is completely innocent ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidator_(Chernobyl) - Radioactivity to blame for ?

With "stop whining" I meant 'use your brain', 'get a book' etc. NOT something like 'don't care, go for it'.

Just banning everything is an illusion. Mercury is a hazard but a extremely good UV emitter in ionizing fluorescent lamps. PCBs are dangerous but I hardly know of any better fire proof isolating oils for the industry. People need to be informed and educated.
The Problem is that some guys on this Planet make their profit with exactly that dirty labor.

Hide this!Advertise here!