build new amp from 2 vintage tube amps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2012, 10:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default build new amp from 2 vintage tube amps?

Hi all,

i almost bought 2 vintage tube amps, but before i do i'd like to get your opinions on my idea to build a stereo tube amp with a Line and a Phono input...

i found the following:

amp1:
1 x ecc 83 GE General Electric
1 x exx 81 GE General Electric
2 x 6V6 GT GE General Electric
1 x 5Y3 GT GE General Electric

amp2:
1 x RCA 6J7 metal tube
2 x Sylvania 6L6 GA (coke bottle , black carbon coating)
1 x sylvania 5U4 G
1 x GE General Electric 6N7 metal

both the amps come with 100v/120v transformers, can i use a standard 240v to 120v converter?

does anybody know of a schematic to build my first amp using some of these tubes?
Old 8th June 2012, 04:51 PM   #2
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Maybe post pictures if you can get back to them. They must be mono amps PP as you only have one RCA in and a set of output terminals for one speaker. 2 output tube means PP (Push Pull) as opposed to 1 tube or SE per channel.

They should be recapped also or you risk the transformers. Must have a load on the speaker outputs too. Don't just plug them in!

Maybe state where you are as someone over there may know about suitable power converters.

Maybe you can find a similar matching amp to the other if they were popular.

Show pics under chassis too!

Also you need to know how much power your going to need for your speakers.

By the tubes it looks like you will need a preamp too.

Probably easier, cheaper, and sonically more successfull if you just build something , maybe with a circuit board for easier success if you want a stereo amp.

Look @ tubelab.com simple PP EL84 amp. May have enough power for you @ 15-17 W/CH Can be built for $300-400 Lot's of support on this site. SE amps if you have the speakers.

http://www.tubelab.com/AssemblyManua...tHere_SPP.html

http://www.tubelab.com/PCB_order.htm

http://www.tubelab.com/

Dynaco ST-70 type boards for more powe 35W/CH with bigger tubes, and of course more $

Amp & preamp boards.

http://www.classicvalve.ca/tubepcb.html

There are preamp designs for P2P wiring on this site too.

Randy

Last edited by rmyauck; 8th June 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 8th June 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'd use one amp as the power supply and the other as the main stereo amp. You need an umbilical that takes 300v HT or whatever you need. Speakons are rated for 300v but the trouble there is they could be confused with speaker outputs. The 8 way ones could be a good bet. Beard Audio used them. This will allow you to make a standard power supply with really good components like polypropylene motor run caps - they make a difference. I'm a fan of damper diodes like 6DT4 and in particular of using two 6BY5G, in hybrid or Graetz bridge mode where necessary, to give a comfortable 200 mA or more. Add a chunky choke or two and you have a reference power supply.

You can then play around with several different amp ideas and have fun, and drive them all off your power supply.

Andy
Old 8th June 2012, 04:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyauck View Post
Maybe post pictures. They must be mono amps PP as you only have one RCA in and a set of output terminals for one speaker. 2 output tube means PP (Push Pull) as opposed to 1 tube or SE per channel.

They should be recapped also or you risk the transformers. Must have a load on the speaker outputs too. Don't just plug them in!

Maybe state where you are as someone over there may know about suitable power converters.

Maybe you can find a similar matching amp to the other if they were popular.

Show pics under chassis too!

Randy
Hey Randy, thank you very much for your reply, but i just let the seller know i am not buying. he couldn't tell me anything about the state the tubes are in and he lives to far away for me to drive by and check first. just a bit to much of a gamble for me at the moment...
Old 8th June 2012, 05:30 PM   #5
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Those Tubes aren't that bad in price and if you build you will find they are a small prart of the cost. Vintage tubes are usually good and will last a very long time. I see 50-70 year old tubes working fine in old gear a lot. Tubes are usually not needed, maybe output tubes as they wear faster.

Recapping , cleaning tubes sockets and maybe retensioning, pots, and checking resistors is what is usually needed.

Check the amps out as they maybe great vintage ones for a decent price! Don't woory about the tubes.

Another thing is output transformer quality is what makes a tube amp sonically and many vintage had that in spades if they weren't low end!

Randy

Last edited by rmyauck; 8th June 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!