• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PP and PPP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Everyone,

I read in Morgan Jones, (pg. 458 third. ed.) that parallel output valves reduce the HT needed, reducing the cost of the power supply. And reduces the output impedance reducing the needed turns ratio of the output transformer.

Unfortunately he devotes only one paragraph to this. I happen to have 17 6P15P output tubes. And three Magnavox inter stage transformers. Can anyone explain the change in output impedance by using push pull, push pull parallel or parallel SE configurations? Or that can point me toward a source that may?

Kevin

Hey Everyone,

I read in Morgan Jones, (pg. 458 third. ed.) that parallel output valves reduce the HT needed, reducing the cost of the power supply. And reduces the output impedance reducing the needed turns ratio of the output transformer.

Unfortunately he devotes only one paragraph to this. I happen to have 17 6P15P output tubes. And three Magnavox inter stage transformers. Can anyone explain the change in output impedance by using push pull, push pull parallel or parallel SE configurations? Or that can point me toward a source that may?

Kevin

Paralleling output valves does not reduce the HT required; the idea is that it means that more power may be obtained by multiplying the current whilst using the same HT, and as you say, means that the output transformer may be specified to have a lower primary impedance.

I have never understood how the value of primary impedance is calculated for pentodes or beam tetrodes, nor can I recall ever having read anything on this. What I can say is that 6P15P looks to be very close to EL822: a 12W Pa pentode with good gm and a very high anode resistance (100k). This makes it ideal as a high-current constant current sink, and I used EL822 for this in one of my amplifiers. I keep meaning to buy some 6P15P for this reason as EL822 is getting rather pricey. Incidentally EL822 is vastly superior judging by the published curves to EL821; 6P15P's published curves are also excellent.

Whether this type is suitable as an output valve I leave it to others to comment!

Good luck

Paul

So if a pair of EL84 have an output impedance of 8k four tubes in PPP would have an output impedance of 4k? Is it that easy?

Yes, it is. The same plate voltage will be used, but twice the current will be drawn from the power supply, and twice the power delivered to the output.

Leakage and Miller capacitances will also double, but drive voltages stay the same.

It's especially important to take grid stops seriously, use 'em on both G1 and G2.

All good fortune,
Chris

Yes, it is. The same plate voltage will be used, but twice the current will be drawn from the power supply, and twice the power delivered to the output.

Leakage and Miller capacitances will also double, but drive voltages stay the same.

It's especially important to take grid stops seriously, use 'em on both G1 and G2.

All good fortune,
Chris

i use carbon comps here exclusively....;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.