• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECL82 Single Tube Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Digging around on the net I found a very simple schematic that is very easy to follow.

Any thoughts? Any possible issues? Any improvements?

Thanks

Attachments

• ecl82.jpg
    ecl82.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 2,108
The 6BM8/ECL82 is nice tube for making low power amps.

IMO, the circuit shown leaves much to be desired. It uses full pentode mode and no NFB. Can you say IM distortion and a wretched damping factor? :( :(

Contact member Jeff Yourison for the particlulars of the "Dirt Cheap SE" project he and I worked on. We tweaked an old Mullard design and the result deals with the issues outlined above and more.

Sure. A series resistor from the secondary of the output transformer to the cathode of the triode. You may need to reverse the connections to the secondary to assure that you're getting negative feedback rather than positive feedback.
It may not be the ultimate amplifier but it would be worth a try.

What do you all think about my $250 budget and could I do better?

Enric,

That much money is in the range of a scratch built "El Cheapo". Magnetics are always the big ticket items. So, let's start with budget O/P trafos. Edcor's $37.01 model GXPP15-6-8K will give satisfactory results into both 4 and 8 Ω speakers. You will be restricted to triode mode "finals", as the magnetic headroom necessary to employ ultralinear (UL) mode is absent. The power yield is approx. 6 WPC, which works well combined with mid 90s sensitive speakers.

IIRC, the "Aikido" preamp has some gain. That means you get to "ditch" the volume control circuitry and switch to the inexpensive 6J6 as the splitter driver.

BTW, any member of the 6V6 "clan" works with the parts values shown. "Obscure" tubes other than the 'AQ5 include the 12AB5 and 14C5.

Attachments

• EC big.gif
    EC big.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,550
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I just sent an inquiry to them about a pair of K-501's to see if they would offer them without power and output transformers.
The ones they supply are kinda fugly.
But, I love the simplicity of that circuit.

Are there any suitable replacements for the 11BM8? There doesn't seem to be much info out there about them.

Last edited:

Attachments

• se84cschematic.pdf
    25.9 KB · Views: 257
Seems to me that a single 6BM8 might benefit from an RH treatment. Look up Alex's RH84 which uses 1/2 a 12AT7 and an EL84.
The triode in the 6BM8 is almost identical to 1/2 a 12AT7 and the 6BM8 pentode section is a bit like a lower power EL84 (well more like a lower power 6V6 or 6AQ5).
This may have been done before - anyone know?
Cheers,
Ian

Hey Ian,
What makes you think this particular triode likes a close to vertical loadline;)? If wanting to go Schade it would be better to dump the triode alltogether and use a MOSFET driver ala Michael Koster for low distortion.

If using an ECL86 it could maybe be worth a try to do a SE-Huey, as that tube is 1/2 ECC83 plus a 9W EL84:).

Is this schematic as you modified it Eli? I had this on my hard drive...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[IMG=http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7086/dirtcheap6bm8.jpg][/IMG]

Yes, that's the 1st iteration that I came up with. IIRC, Jeff Yourison has a neater and "final" diagram. Like "El Cheapo", the history of the "Dirt Cheap SE" was lost in the "hacking" of the AudiophileTalk site. :bawling:

Cathode feedback ECL82

Hi revintage,

Are you talking about this circuit? If so, what is your opinion about this circuit? I have two output transformers made by Philips for this circuit. Your opinion will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks

Renjish

Attachments

• ECL82 with cathode feedback.JPG
    ECL82 with cathode feedback.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,917
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.