• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fuse blows instantly

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
In the new amp, i'm also using another rectifier, so if it's caused by the rectifier the problem should be solved, now I just have to order another power Tx...

---
David

Before you order,

Check the power rating of each secondary....do you have enough head room for the circuit you are using? (I never run any power Tx close to required full power spec)
Also a good idea to fit an current inrush limiter to reduce turn on surge..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Hi David,
it seems that your PT has gone.

With the secondairies all disconnected from the rest of the circuitry, the prim. fuse shouldn´t blow anymore. Transformer fuses rated normally twice the the primary current , which are the transformer draw on full load.

Insert a metered varic inbetween the mains an PT. Increase the voltage slowly by watching the current. The PT is defininately defect if the meter indicating any current except a negligible value due to its no load loss in the range of few milliamps.

good luck with your fault tracing!

Wolfgang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.