• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

good tube service tech in Los Angeles?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm looking for someone with some pretty solid tube gear repair chops.

I have two pieces of gear I'm looking to have fixed. I repair electronics, but these two are beyond me. The first is a 50's era tube amp, fairly simple, but there is no schematic. It has a bit of hum on the output. I've replaced the caps, but the problem persists. I'm guessing a fried resistor or film cap in the psu somewhere.

The second piece of gear is a Gates Limiter, SA-39, also from the 50s. I have a schematic for it, and it passes signal, but isn't working properly. I think the compressor circuitry needs to be balanced.

Anyway, if you have any recommendations, let me know. Ideally I'd like to find some retired tube tech that can take on occasional work. The only requirement is that they be in Los Angeles county. My email is peglegpatrick ATT gmail DTT com.

:D

I would recommend you to contact Geoff, he should know local guys who deal with tube equipment in your area: Pro Audio Recording Equipment | Aurora Audio

If your compressor needs repair/adjustment, your amp needs upgrade: it was common for that time to have poor according to modern expectations filtration, and ground loops were common. Capacitance was bulky and expensive, voltage regulators were very expensive.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.