• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Proposal for a new sticky thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any support for commencing a sticky thread titled
"Knowledge base: Donor equipment for tube amps &/or parts"?

I envisage that we can build up a knowledge base of what vintage consoles, tape recorders (Sony, Akai, etc), ampfliers and radios can be used as sources for amps or parts. Perhaps PA amps can be transmogrified into audio amps?Identifying brands, models numbers and photos should be included.

Vintage equipment having only mono audio may conceivably rebuilt into a monblock amp.

Stereo tube amps cap be rebuilt and retrofitted with modern passives, etc.

I also think each entry can have links added to existing build threads - to further assist potential builders.

I think this could be a good initiative. Any support out there?

cheers

Doug

Old equipment with good quality parts is best repaired/refurbished, rather than gutted for parts. Old equipment with average quality parts (e.g. most domestic equipment) is probably not worth gutting, unless you need spare parts for similar items. Minor exception: you could probably make a guitar practice amp using an OPT from an old radio. Remember, radio set OPTs were meant to cover from about 200Hz to 5kHz or thereabouts - not really hi-fi!

I really think this is a case - by - case deal. I've got a PP 6A3 stereo amp based on old Pilot iron. But wouldn't bother recording the model number for posterity since it's not so likely to find another or to have the same combination of economic and personal factors that made that unit perfect for the scavenging. These are all targets of opportunity, scarf on the bargains and use / rebuild them as makes the most sense.

If you go shopping for a particular donor chassis, it won't be easy and inexpensive.

It's like the old Hammond and Bogen units that get converted into guitar amps. Nobody can find the ones that are well documented, any more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.