• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The History of the EL-34 and other Pentodes and Beam Tetrodes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dang, I meant the 300b. How did I screw that up?

What I meant to say was not that the Enterprise was a garbage scow,
but that it should be hauled away AS garbage.

Now lets see a real Star Trek Barfight!

I'd take the bait having lived with 300Bs for nearly 20yrs, but I find I actually like the GM70 better. Both are quite linear properly employed, and I've even relegated a few bad 300B to the garbage scow, err garbage over the years. Sorry.. :D

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I could be mistaken, but I suspect the OMA amplifier referenced above is not an RCA creation at all, but something OMA cooked up to drive the big power amplifiers. Might want to dig into that a bit further, just sayin'.

Given the time frame and the fact that it was RCA it seems very unlikely that they would have used a foreign tube, or even one made by a "domestic competitor" other than GE. AFAIK RCA never used the 300B in one of their cinema designs. Even tubes made in the UK were not common here in those days, let alone one manufactured in Germany.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.