Scored a very nice H H Scott 272! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2012, 09:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Scored a very nice H H Scott 272!

Not sure about how it works - it hasn't seen electricity in 3 decades!!, but it is in pristine! condition. It as in a console cabinet all its life and the daughter was selling off her dad's things. She could not remember ever hearing it work. Seems to have all/most of its original tubes AND some extras in boxes (may be just packrat jun??).

Anyway here are some pics of it out of the console.

I'm not sure if its possible, but would there be a way to get a pre-out from this and use it as a tube pre for my Citation II? My goal MIGHT be to bi-amp my Magie's with this and the Citation. May not need the horsepower but, I do want a tube Pre. Or I'll give it to my daughter to use for her Cornwalls.

For now, I need to get some ideas about how to power it after 3 decades! Any Scott experts out there? Especially if you're in the Chicago area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0188.jpg (235.0 KB, 447 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0190.jpg (195.8 KB, 423 views)
Old 28th May 2012, 09:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Oh my!!

Before I bought it I opened the bottom - could not find anything visibly wrong, so was encouraged and bought it. But I just assumed the father stopped using because of an expensive failure.

The seller (daughter of the original owner) asked her dad for me if he remembered anything about why he stopped using it, In other words, give me clue what may have failed. She just got back to me.

He said it did not fail, he just stopped using it!!! No kidding. Sure 30 years means it will need some checking out and probably some parts, but at least it isn't a basket case!
Old 28th May 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Account disabled at member's request

safe to assume the electrolytes are dry as the desert
Old 28th May 2012, 10:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default electrolytics...

Yea. I expect that will be true. That's gonna be one of the more difficult problems - There is no room under to cram something and bypass the can caps, so i may be stuck replacing the cans. Can caps are so much more expensive!
Old 28th May 2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If you have a variac, bring it up slowly - it may be OK. Or use the old light bulb in series trick. Great score!
Old 28th May 2012, 10:29 PM   #6
12E1 is offline 12E1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbargain View Post
There is no room under to cram something and bypass the can caps, so i may be stuck replacing the cans. Can caps are so much more expensive!
Given that modern caps are so much smaller than they were 30 or 40 years ago, one trick sometimes used by restorers is to extract the contents from the old, dried up cans and then insert the new ones inside them, thus preserving the original appearance. Just be careful, since the insides are probably not that pleasant, chemically speaking.
Old 28th May 2012, 10:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have one of these too, and the matching tuner. I traded a car for mine.....It was the first car that I ever owned too, a 1949 Plymouth.

The amp was sitting in a barn. The owner didn't remember when or where he got it. One of the 5U4's, one of the EL34's and both tall white ceramic resistors were physically broken where the tuner was sitting on top of the amp. After replacing those parts the amp worked. I used it daily for about 10 years, but I haven't turned it on in about 10 years. It was working when I put it in the closet.

Do you have a schematic? I have all the documentation including the service manual that came with mine. I can scan it if you need it.

These amps can sell for stupid amounts of money. It may be worth replacing the can caps correctly if you ever sell the amp.
Old 28th May 2012, 10:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks!

I have the schematic and the user manual, but not the service manual. That would be very nice to have, if its not too much trouble.
Old 28th May 2012, 10:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default and...

And where to buy the can caps....?
Old 28th May 2012, 11:07 PM   #10
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Congrats, nice amp! Good to replace the caps as you probably know as you risk the transformers.

Maybe you can replace the can caps with the big JJ type or other quality tall caps and put clamps on them. You just don't want to drill any new holes. Make adapter plates with aluminum scrap if needed & Save the old can caps if you ever sell it.

I think Jim McShane of Jim McShane tubes could possibly make you up a kit of all needed caps if you ask him.

Easier than trying to restuff caps which some say isn't as good anyway (small mini caps don't work as well) and cheaper than buying replacement can caps. You can also increase the capacitance in the PS for a sonic improvement except right after the rectifier tubes.

Just a thought!

Randy

Last edited by rmyauck; 28th May 2012 at 11:11 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!