• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6p3s...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just made a class ab gtr amp.

my measurements came out a little off on the chassis for tube location.
a JJ6L6GC is too tall.. and tends to hit the spkr. magnet.

turns out with a minor tweak.. the 6p3s would be just right and give me the tone I want.

I have an old.. can't read the label 6L6gc that fits. JJs too tall.

I can't find the dang dimensions anywhere.. save one place that show them so small I can't read it and wont enlarge.. probably my fault there.

anyone know how tall they are compared to a JJ?
I'd never have thought I'd spend half an hour looking.. sheesh.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

you can see
the jj el34 and jj6L6GC are too tall.
the broken one is like the one I have in now..it fits.
the JJ 6L6 just ticks the magnet.. damn my old eyes for measuring that..
the JJ6V6 is just a tick shorter than I'd need.

I found some Russki 6P3S-E
and I think they will do the job for fit in size and circuit.

man I nearly blew this build.. but in the end it really rocks.
:)

Thanks!
I didn't know they were called coin based. Makes sense.

Here's some pics

cosmetically it's not finished.. lotta holes from the amp that was in there.. it'll be
white pearl panel on front.. haven't decided on the rear panel yet.
and the combo cab will get some work, too.

the last test on the bench.. and hey. a clean bench is a sign of a warped mind!
an old time radio guy told me that, and I'm sticking to it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

this shot is pre finish on the mess .. needs a couple parts glued down.. and a couple need to be radial caps instead of axial.. all I had on hand was axial.

the top shot for some reason my camera didn't take the front shot.
got it in the cab now.. I'll put in a 'finished' pic later.

it is in this cabinet

Thanks.

Raven RG60 solid state.
still got the guts laying in the shop. Will put them in something.

If you look around you can find the RG20 1X12 combos for 50.00 or so.
Way cheaper than buying a new cabinet.. chassis are steel, too.
You just have to be careful the tubes clear the speaker magnet before you start.

I will retolex the amp above.. when I get time. I ran into a big chunk of what simulates nearly .. cowhide. the brown black white kinda look.. like I shot a dairy cow. *G*

Here's the RG20 converted to a Tweed Deluxe 1X12 combo

Here's my RG60 converted to Marshall clone 1X12 combo

superliteIIlast004.jpg

now I spose the dang prices will go up. *L*

note: the new 'acoustic' amps at GC are in fact Ravens.. GC bought the name.
They are different mostly cosmetically.. with some features improved a bit.
So keep an eye out for those showing up.

Any old solid state will have a good box.. and even a decent chassis..
Great for rebuilding if there is tube clearance.. not typical on smaller models which
have 10" or smaller speakers though.

use good stuff to build it, and it will rock!

superlitechassisshotsprehookup001.jpg

I'm quite a fan of the old 6P3S-e. Cheap, built like tanks and they actually sound great. One of the Sovtek 6L6's (can't remember the exact code off the top pf my uead) are actually just rebranded 6P3S-e tubes. IIRC those Sovtek's come stock in Marshall and Soldano amps these days, but don't quote me on it.
The only 6L6 variant I've heard that sounds smoother are the current production TungSol's. Which, by the by, are actually 5mm to 10mm shorter than the 6P3S-e (the latter having a resonably large height variance between tubes, I've seen up to 5mm or so difference)

Hey thanks.
I don't think I even looked at TungSols.. so I'll check that out.
Used their 12AX7s quite a bit and like them a lot.

They're well worth trying out, of the current production tubes I've tried (keeping in mind I haven't tried all of them) they're the best. Very solid construction and they sound fantastic. Got a full set for a friend's Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and he absolutely loves them. Just wish they'd make some rectifier tubes...

This is temporary. But basically how it will be.
Have to make front/rear panels yet.
Waiting on my tubes..
I may still add a different switch. One for 100pf and the other for ???pF.
I like what it has, but I'd like one to go a bit deeper.. so I'll start 220pF and go up until I hit it.

thanks for the help all!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.