how to bias my rebuilt dynaco st 70 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default how to bias my rebuilt dynaco st 70

Hi all
I want to replace my 4 el34 in my rebuilt dynaco st-70.
My question is: in the surface of my amp, there is 2 bias pots. So in order to bias my newly replaced tubes, I must connect my current multimeter into that 2 bias pots then adjust the current of new tubes, right? Please see my attached picture.
Thank you very much & sorry for my bad english.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scaled_DSCN0652.JPG (109.3 KB, 229 views)
Old 24th May 2012, 02:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

See the link: http://www.curcioaudio.com/st7_mnl.pdf
Old 26th May 2012, 09:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Check the schematic. Put your test leads across the 15.6 ohm resistor on the cathode pin 8 of the output tubes. With the meter on the DC voltage scale you will adjust the pot for that side until you get 1.56 volts DC. This will equate to 100 mA for the pair of output tubes. You will do the same for the other side.
Old 26th May 2012, 05:40 PM   #4
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

They ran the tubes hot back in the day as they were low cost to replace, but with todays tube's it's better to run a lower dissipation by trying a lower setting to around 1.40 for better life.

Watch for any red plating in a dark room with stock or near stock settings.

See where they sound the best at the lowest bias setting you can achieve for the longest tube life..

The B+ influences this which can be a fair bit higher with todays line voltages being higher.

http://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.co...ht=bias+st+-70

Diode mod is also great for rectifier tube life using UF4007 diodes. Also helps if the power flashes off and on in succession,

http://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.co...fier-diode-mod

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=443917

Hope that helps!

Randy

Last edited by rmyauck; 26th May 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 27th May 2012, 11:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Actually I did the diode mod here in 2002 and posted it and from there it got copied. The bias would have to down a lot before your going to hear anything.
The difference between 100mA for the pair and 90mA isn't going to make much if any difference in the tube life....been there. The diodes should be rated a minimum of 1000 volts to be safe and the "fast recovery" do not sound any better nor can any difference be heard between them and the standard 1N4007's. I believe I had posts on that forum before Bob banned me for posting that I had started a new forum. My suggestion for tubes is going to be either the Russian 6n3cE or the 6BG6GA that are available on the web.

I convert all my Dynaco 70's to individual tube bias because as the matched tubes wear they do not stay matched in most cases. This also allows one to purchase some $10ea 6BG6GA's instead of $50 on up matched pairs.

Just my .02
Old 28th May 2012, 02:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default dynaco st 70's bias pin on front socket

Many thanks for your response. But I meaned trange problem is that when I opened my front cover of my dynaso st 70, bias pin on front socket, to which I will connect the wire of my multimeter, is not there. My dynaco st 70 is not stock one but rebuilt by Will Vincent.
So how do I measer volt of my newly replaced kt77 tube?
I attached 3 images: front of dynaco, upper chassis and the back of my dynaco for your reference.
Please help me. I need your help. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back.jpg (103.7 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg front.jpg (117.0 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg upper_chassis.jpg (125.1 KB, 126 views)
Old 28th May 2012, 03:25 AM   #7
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Look around those bias pots ,looks like just a fuse in the middle, but maybe he put test points around there. Yes, maybe those small black circles with holes in the middle in front of the pots are your new test points). ( All mounted on a plate between rect. tube and big black capacitor)

Also remove top cover for driver circuit and post pics.

Post some good under shots may help too!

Randy

Last edited by rmyauck; 28th May 2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 28th May 2012, 09:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

It looks like those test points are the two turret terminals next to the bias pots. Put one test probe in one of the turret terminal test points and take the other meter test probe to a good ground and see what you get. I am only seeing one test point per channel so a common ground is what you need to complete your circuit to test the bias.
Old 28th May 2012, 09:12 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Burnedfingers View Post
It looks like those test points are the two turret terminals next to the bias pots. Put one test probe in one of the turret terminal test points and take the other meter test probe to a good ground and see what you get.
thank you. I will test it

Hide this!Advertise here!