• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Want help - RCA Tube Manual RIAA Phono Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Academia50,

Here is a circuit you may find interesting.

Bruce

Attachments

• Heath-pre-modd.jpg
    Heath-pre-modd.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 678
Ok this is an old thread but i 'm bringing it up as i already started building the Eli's version with the mosfet follower.Ihave one question regarding the mosfet ZVN0545A.
Can i use sustitute for this?
Let's say the IRF840 which is rated at 500v is it ok to use it?

I have one question regarding the mosfet ZVN0545A.
Can i use sustitute for this?
Let's say the IRF840 which is rated at 500v is it ok to use it?
Yes, most any MOSFET will work OK in that position (assuming you get the pinout correct of course). It would be a good idea to add a 10V to 15V zener diode between gate and source though, for protection (cathode towards the gate).

Last edited:
Merlin is correct about adding a protective Zener diode, to deal with turn on surges.

Any "N" channel enhancement mode MOSFET whose reverse transfer capacitance is low and stable will work. The reasons for the requirement are: the 'X7 triode is a wimp and avoidance of HF info. loss.

Best wishes for the new year!
I ve just finished the Eli's version preamp and also build the psu that he suggest...250v x2 and 12v for the heater. Everything seems ok but cannot get the fillaments glow.but i do get 11.75v on pin 4 and 5. I also get 245v on pin 1 on both sockets without tubes,but with tubes in place i get only 12 volt.It' really confusing.At least the heaters should have glown as i have the voltage on pins 4,5. I use 2 12ax7 tubes.Any ideas on what it might be the problem are welcomed!

I replaced the 4,7 uf which by my mistake were rated @ 63 instead of 630 v.Now the dc voltage is almost 0 or milivolts but stil when i plug it it shows 150 vdc for about 10 seconds before goes to zero.Why is that?.Is these blocking capacitors(4,7 uf and 0.47uf) there for that reason,to not let the dc pass?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.