Bootstrapped long tail - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Zian is offline Zian  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Bootstrapped long tail

Hi, it's my first post here. It is a pleliminary design (values) but i'm looking for advice or contraindication. I'm thinking to replace Tail by CCS, the output stage will be 2 6550 for a 70W ultralinear and the k follower will be present anyway, but i try to have max gain and low output impedance with the 6SN7 and feedback including just this stage and output.
Thank you in advance
Graziano
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi-fi-70W.jpg (25.7 KB, 219 views)
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
The idea is very good, but best results will get using 6SL7 (more mu triode than 6SN7), and better is to use a constant current source at the cathode joint. But your circuit will work. Keep in mind to maintain the anode capacitances as low as you can, because bootstrapping increases the impedance of such node, and then capacitances shunts high frequencies more quickly than usual resistor load only.

Finally, I donīt like NFB returning to grid and cathode simultaneously, I would do only at the grid of second half of the LTP. (Itīs only my opinion)

Good luck.

Last edited by Osvaldo de Banfield; 23rd May 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Just ground the cap from the the grid of the second half ltp triode. Remove the 47k resistors in series with the diodes.

Last edited by jerluwoo; 23rd May 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:00 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

If that cap was grounded then the feedback becomes pure common-mode into a differential-mode stage - it won't work. As it is it will work, although I would not do it that way; I would use the second LTP grid for feedback as Osvaldo said.
Old 24th May 2012, 04:56 AM   #5
dgta is offline dgta  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't think that circuit will drive 6550s to full output from a line level source, if any significant amount of feedback is used. I would use 6SL7 in the first stage as Osvaldo said.

Actually, I wouldn't use this topology at all, I don't see the point of the CF.
Old 24th May 2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Zian is offline Zian  Italy
diyAudio Member

Oh well. To be honest I thought a 12AT7, the 6SL7 didn't come to mind. Regarding the CF I wanted some more choices, i began to think with a 12ax7 as ltp...but probably i'll use CF anyway, better more than less.
By the way, before this i'm going to build a preamp with bass and treble control(my friend asked), levels or topology are to be defined yet
Thank you again

Hide this!Advertise here!