• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bootstrapped long tail

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, it's my first post here. It is a pleliminary design (values) but i'm looking for advice or contraindication. I'm thinking to replace Tail by CCS, the output stage will be 2 6550 for a 70W ultralinear and the k follower will be present anyway, but i try to have max gain and low output impedance with the 6SN7 and feedback including just this stage and output.
Thank you in advance
Graziano

Attachments

• Hi-fi-70W.jpg
    Hi-fi-70W.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 245
The idea is very good, but best results will get using 6SL7 (more mu triode than 6SN7), and better is to use a constant current source at the cathode joint. But your circuit will work. Keep in mind to maintain the anode capacitances as low as you can, because bootstrapping increases the impedance of such node, and then capacitances shunts high frequencies more quickly than usual resistor load only.

Finally, I don´t like NFB returning to grid and cathode simultaneously, I would do only at the grid of second half of the LTP. (It´s only my opinion)

Good luck.

Last edited:
I don't think that circuit will drive 6550s to full output from a line level source, if any significant amount of feedback is used. I would use 6SL7 in the first stage as Osvaldo said.

Actually, I wouldn't use this topology at all, I don't see the point of the CF.

Oh well. To be honest I thought a 12AT7, the 6SL7 didn't come to mind. Regarding the CF I wanted some more choices, i began to think with a 12ax7 as ltp...but probably i'll use CF anyway, better more than less.
By the way, before this i'm going to build a preamp with bass and treble control(my friend asked), levels or topology are to be defined yet
Thank you again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.