James PP Audio Transformers, any good? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2012, 12:53 AM   #1
mbeards is offline mbeards  United States
diyAudio Member

Default James PP Audio Transformers, any good?

I am wondering what luck people have had with the James audio transformers?

....particularly their push pull product line. I have seen people comment on the single ended stuff but I am wondering how their push pull outputs sound.

I am thinking about getting a pair for a Acrosound ultralinear 6550 project that specifies 3.3K primary. This sounds about right for a 450V supply that will sag under full power, but I am having difficulty finding some higher end transformers than the Edcor's with a 3.3K primary.

James has a 3.4K so I sent them an email requesting a price.

Just wondering what successes people have had with their high power PP OT.

Any other transformer suggestions would be great.

-Matt
Old 21st May 2012, 02:06 AM   #2
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Unless you are looking for every last bit of power from what I've read studying the subject, you might be better off with 5K for less distortion. Back in the day they they were after max power and also ran the tubes to the max. You will loose a slight bit of power. This will also allow you to roll some lower power tubes too if you adjust the bias. 6K would work fine too.

Your right you don't see any builds with the James for PP. Maybe similar style Hashimoto if you can afford them or Lundahls (make sure to get UL version) for less. Both are C cores (HW versions of Hashimoto PP not HWC) Dave Slagle of Intact Audio may be the only NA maker of C core transformers which would also be great if in your budget.

Hope that helps!

Randy

Last edited by rmyauck; 21st May 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 21st May 2012, 02:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

James seem to be very good for the price. The only issue is that there are no US dealers who carry the push-pull type, and shipping from the manufacturer can be quite high. If you need 12, it is less of an issue. But, for the price of 1 pair + shipping, you can pick up something locally made -- Electra-Print, Magnequest, Onetics, etc.
Old 21st May 2012, 02:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Good thought on increasing the primary impedance! I think increasing 3.3K is the way to go.

Hashimoto's are out of my price range. Lundahls seem more reasonable.
Old 21st May 2012, 02:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just stumbled across these as well:

Push-Pull Transformers - Transcendar Audio Transformers

Hide this!Advertise here!