• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"How it's made" vacuum tubes..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Much prefer this:

Hand Made Tubes by Claude Paillard

He's a French radio ham (F2FO), and the tubes have been used succesfully for these purposes. He starts off cutting out anode material with a swiss army knife and later on plots curves on an analogue plotter.
The soundtrack is piano music, with echoes of Hot Shots.......

His website is in french, but has a google translate link right at the top.

F2FO

Seriously, if you watch one thing on Youtube in your whole life, watch this.

In my younger days there was and article in Popular Electronics of how some of the hams would make all of their stuff from junk found around the house.
Capacitor's,Rectifier's from copper oxided plate copper and Vacuum tubes made from test tubes!
Ever since then I have always wanted try my hand at it.
I few years ago I found I website where a guy had made his own CRT's and made a clock out of one using a PIC processor to run it.
This stuff is just too cool !!!

After I had read that article back then, I was determined by the 6th grade to build a television compleatly from scratch.
I had drawn up all of the plans but I couldn't find anyone that had a vacuum pump that I could use.
There was a local glass blower that said he could make me a Mercury Diffusion pump for like $30 but being such a young lad in the early 70's,I had no money to work with and $30 back in those days was I good hunk of change.
So it still remains a dream.
Maybe one day I will take the time to do something along those realms.
Lately, I have collect a couple of large 2HP air conditioning compressors to make one and experiment in the field one day.
That Magazine and the American Scientific Handbook as well as some very good Science Fair books is what sparked my Imagination back then and since then I have not stopped.

:cheers:

jer :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.